Hard times at rescue

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Hard times at rescue

Post by Glenys »

Sorry for the long post but here goes .
We are getting increasing worried about people struggling with their pets medical bills
We have been hammered ! yes that the correct word this year the worst ever for Vets bills as we do not like to turn down a Labrador in need.
I cannot name this dog as to not offend the adopter but just a few days after the dog was taken home she went down with a pyometra it would have been deeply insensitive to say get on with it and we would never do that she was rushed to the vets for emergency surgery that’s over a week ago she was released but then re-admitted we do not know the total cost yet but delighted to say her life has been saved which is the most important thing….. and she is on her way home we have paid £2015.75 so far we have no idea what the rest will be . Today we have had a desperate call from concerned neighbours re a seven year old lab living with an elderly owner with dementia ( she was putting orange juice in his water bowl forgetting his food ) he has a massive lump so bad the dog can only get comfort on his back the lump was drained at one time but is now back with a vengeance the family were going to send him to boarding kennels we cannot let this happen .
So now liaising with the person who has power of attorney to allow us to take him
We are also on standby to take another mature dog whose owner has passed away and he is home alone.
Another dog fostering with Gina Sasha is also under the vet and this is important her owners shock death His wife has to go through court to get access to her rightful money married a long time her hubby had the purse strings so existing on her state pension she is not able to care financially or physically with the dog who needs investigations and treatment for bladder.
These are just happening right now in our small dedicated rescue we are dealing with calls emails texts you name it whilst trying to fit in vet runs etc.
We can give our time, love, experience to help these dogs we cannot perform a miracle financially .

I am taking this opportunity also to please make plans should something happen to you please make sure your family or friends know what your wishes are for your pets .
I found out today power of attorney stops when a person dies then its a hell of a performance to get fiances sorted .
Also with the best will in the world we do not know what is round the corner we the team know this ourselves too well.

Glenys and Team xx
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Hard times at rescue

Post by Lins »

Your stress levels must be through the roof.

Let's hope we have a good auction with generous bids. Every little helps.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Hi Glenys

Wow. Lots of loving thoughts for you and all of the team.

I currently have a claim with Ombudsman against PetPlan as they are trying to charge 20% of all Lily's claims from next year when she turns 10 - and that's on a "covered for life policy". I understand that the Financial Ombudsman have been inundated with complaints due to massive insurance premium hikes by Petplan - lets hope that they sort something out - as this will ease the burden for many who can manage budgeted expense (eg monthly premium) but will struggle with unbudgeted expense - eg 20% of a large bill should a beloved dog become ill and need medical treatment.

As already said - let's hope that auction helps to ease the financial burden even if just a little bit!

Jane and Lily
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

That is very interesting Jane I will watch this space as covered for life shouldn't mean unjust hikes in premium or adaptions to the policy .
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Labrador3 »

Hi Glenys,
Sorry to hear about difficult times for the rescue. Could we suggest donors might sponsor a picture on the website of their rescued Labrador? It would enhance the site and hopefully bring some money in. Maybe if people could email a picture to yourself along with a donation? Just a thought, anyway very best wishes. We think what you do is wonderful.
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Hi everyone, this is such a sad situation and I hope the auction makes a lot of money for these poor furbabies, who through no fault of their own need all this medical care :cry3:

Jane I have just cancelled my 2 Petplan policies as they have gone up by 18% each year and at aged 6&4 our policies had gone up to over £120 a month or over £1400 a year plus the excess was going up by at least £10 a year on both :blue:
I have never claimed anything for Kinder but can’t fault Petplan for all the claims I have had for Coco. I hope you get somewhere with the ombudsman. :love3:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Glenys wrote: 16 May 2019, 13:59 That is very interesting Jane I will watch this space as covered for life shouldn't mean unjust hikes in premium or adaptions to the policy .
I’ve got Jess and Tilly on covered for life. If they don’t mean fully covered for life, then they shouldn’t be messing with the policy to get you to pay part of the bill.. I’ll be interested to see the outcome of this too. No help to people who want to give a dog a home, then make insuring them a con.
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x