Financial Ombudsman Update UPDATED

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Financial Ombudsman Update UPDATED

Post by Jane267 »

Dear All

Some of you may remember my previous post:-

where I made comment regarding a financial ombudsman claim regarding Lily's Life time insurance with Petplan.

I promised to keep you updated. So I've just received a letter saying that they are still investigating and I need to wait!

I've scanned the letter but am unable to upload the image so will send to Glenys and hope that someone in the team can do so!

Link to letter

Jane
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Financial Ombudsman Update

Post by mollie »

Thank you for this Jane. I'll be interested in seeing the response. We are in the same boat with Jess and Tilly. £125.00 excess plus 20% of all the bills. Our premiums are just over £100.00 a month for the two of them. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, but even so, we are giving some thought to maybe now just putting a lump sum to one side which we feel would be enough to cover any vets bills for the girls. The way I am looking at is that now they are both older, the chances are that if they got a serious life threatening illness, I don't think we would be willing to put them through any gruelling treatment. Haven't decided as yet, but I think we will go down that route. We have an on-going claim for Tilly at the moment, so we will think about it after that.
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Financial Ombudsman Update

Post by autumndays »

I've been following this thread with interest and, having just this morning received Skye's renewal quote, thought that I'd post my experience with Petplan.

Skye is the second of my dogs that I have had covered for life so I knew what to expect when he reached ten years old last year. His excess increased to £135 per condition plus 20% per claim. His premium was £752.73 for £4000 cover.

Skye has chronic arthritis and joint problems in his front legs for which he is prescribed previcox and Yumove Advance daily.

Over the last twelve months his claims for these medications, consultations and obligatory blood tests have totalled £1286.86 of which Petplan have reimbursed £892.14 - almost £140 more than I've paid in premiums and he has also had £2700 of cover left if he should have developed any other problems!

I did consider cancelling his cover last year and buying his meds online but the saving was not that great after factoring in consultations and private prescription charges and he would have had no cover at all for other eventualities.

Skye's premium for the coming year has increased to £853.53 but I will still be in pocket and have the reassurance that, now he is 11 1/2 years old, he will still have cover left over for other problems.

I suppose, as with all insurance, some are winners and others losers. Five years ago Skye developed cancer of the lower jaw and required an operation at Liverpool to save his life and then two years later needed operations on both front elbows. Both of these events took him right up to the limits of his insurance but Petplan paid out without a quibble.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, even though the costs take some finding, insurance has worked out for me.

Regards Paul and Skye
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Re: Financial Ombudsman Update UPDATED

Post by Glenys »

Link to the letter is now on the original post above