Golden paste

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mariamc

Golden paste

Post by mariamc »

Hi I have a 11 year old lab who is arthritic in her front legs has cartrofen injection every 8 weeks on tramadol 100mg twice daily but still struggling has anyone tried golden paste been watching comments on a usa lab page and they gave about it.
Any input appreciated

Thanks Maria
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Golden paste

Post by JoanG »

Sorry to hear about your girl and I have not had any experience of Golden paste, when my dog had arthritis in his elbow he had YuMove Advance, hydrotherapy and restricted walking for a few months. The limping stopped and he continued with YuMove Advance and had no further problems with his elbow, we didn't walk him for hours at a time he had two walks a day of about 45 mins each, sometimes a bit longer.

I hope you find someone on here who can help you with Golden paste.
Joan and George x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

I used to give one of my previous Labs (human) glucosamine supplements for his hip dysplasia as well as prescribed anti inflamatories and that combination suited him well.

A lady who rents an exercise field that we use highly recommends golden paste for all sorts of things including healing and arthriris (for humans and dogs) and gave me some when Harley wasn't healing after surgery some years ago. Oddly enough he turned the corner and his leg healed well after taking....coincidence?..... I really don't know....
Anyway
Her recipe is:
1 cup turmeric powder (not schwartz or other small jar)
2 cups water
70ml coconut oil
1.5tsp freshly ground black pepper (not already ground from a jar)

Mix turmeric and water together in a saucepan, heat very gently for 5-7 minutes stirring continuously. Do not boil. Paste will thicken.
Take off heat and add coconut oil and pepper, mix thoroughly till blended.
allow to cool then put in a clean jam jar, store in the fridge, will keep for up to 4 weeks.

See advised me to start with a quarter teaspoon twice a day, increasing to half a teaspoon 2-3 times daily after 5 days.

Des x
Last edited by 12_paws on 26 Jun 2019, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I am a bit skeptical about all of the claims on Golden paste. As much as I would love for it to be the miracle cure I am not so sure. I have used it on both of my girls.....and didn't see any difference at all. If you read between the lines a lot of posts say it is fantastic but then they are on pain meds too so never sure you know which one is working unless you take the pain meds out to see if they can cope. This was just my experience and I would still try it, I would try anything for my dogs if I saw it improved things.

I take it your girl can't take an NSAID if she is on tramadol. Tramadol can become less effective over time, I found this with my bridge girl and would have to give her a third dose of an NSAID as well which really worked for her but it upset her stomach sometimes so we had to be careful. Might be worth a chat with your vet to see if it worth changing the pain meds. This site is great for arthritis help and tips https://caninearthritis.co.uk/

I would definitely recommend a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement such as Yumove advanced or I use Dasuquin along with some salmon oil and a vitamin E supplement. The other big thing you can do if you haven't already is get any weight off as that really helps the joints and gentle daily exercise programme.

Hope things improve for your girl.

Jackie x
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Hi María

My girl is on Galliprant. It’s a relatively new drug I think. She’s doing really well on it. She has a reaction to a lot of other pain killers. Also tried golden paste but she wouldn’t eat it and believe me she can eat anything normally :1001:

Keep us posted

Alison x
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Lily had cartrophen injections and they made no difference to her whatsoever. We put her on Youmove advance and with 4 weeks I had my bouncy dog back (she is 9 and has arthritis in her feet).

Jane