Sleep tight Skye

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Sleep tight Skye

Post by autumndays »

On Monday evening I said goodbye to my sole companion Skye. He would have been twelve next month. He collapsed suddenly during the afternoon and although I managed to carry him to the car and get him to our vet nothing could be done. An undiagnosed growth on his spleen had ruptured and he was bleeding internally. I could only agree to help him on his way and he went peacefully in my arms.

Skye wasn’t an MKF dog but had been a good companion to Lucas who was. Lucas went to the bridge four years ago.

Skye was only one year old when my wife, Anne, first started with Alzheimer’s and he always kept a very close eye on her. When her condition deteriorated four years ago he became over protective and was fostered by Karen, a very kind receptionist at our vet practise. When Anne was taken into permanent care he came back to live with me and never left my side.

He never forgot his Mum and when I was able to bring her home for visits he would snuggle next to her on the sofa or lay on her feet.

Although Skye was showing his age I had hoped we would have a year or so longer together. The house is so quiet now and I feel so alone. There is no structure to my days anymore.

Sleep tight Skye. Thank you for looking after me.

Your loving Dad, Paul
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Sleep tight Skye

Post by Liz5353 »

Paul I am very very sad for you, I am in tears, I do not really know what to say to comfort you.
I know how difficult it is as we lost two girls last year but the difference being I still had two other girls.
I have always followed you Anne Lucas and Skye, you have had some difficult times in recent years.
My heart goes out to you, try to stay strong difficult I know, thinking of you at this extremely sad and difficult time.
Dear Skye sleep tight and run free at rainbow bridge.
Love to you Paul
Liz Molly Polly Raisin x
smitty
Senior User
Senior User

Post by smitty »

I am so very very sorry. I hope it wont be too long before you can remember him with smiles not tears xx Marie
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

So very sorry for your loss Paul. I remember Skye well. He did help you through a very difficult time, and no matter how long you have them, it's never long enough.

Sadly, I have just lost the structure to my life too so, I know exactly how you feel. :cry3:

Run free dear Skye, you went knowing what it was like to be loved.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Paul I am so very sad to hear your wonderful Skye thinking of you as I know what a support ha has been for you and Anne and he was such a special dog

Here if you need anything xx
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

Paul so sorry to hear your sad news it is heartbreaking when we lose our beloved dogs. I think we can all feel your pain and know how much you will be missing Skye.
Thinking of you and sending caring thoughts.
With love. Pat x
lucy73
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lucy73 »

This is such a sad post to read - my heart goes out to you Paul on losing Skye, but also because of the hard time you must be having because of your wife’s cruel illness too.

I hope that in time you will be able to welcome another furry friend into your home to help heal your heart, even just a little.

Sending you big hugs and healing thoughts,
Lucy, Lesley & Tasha xx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

So sad to read your post Paul. I too have followed your news over the past few years and I can’t imagine how you are feeling.

Once you give yourself a little time, I am convinced that another furry pal in your life will fill that awful hole, and give you structure again.

Big hugs to you xx
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Paul, we are so sorry to read you have had to say goodbye to your beloved Skye. We have followed you, Anne, Lucas and Skye and can’t imagine the loneliness you must be feeling at this sad time. As others have said hopefully in time you might be able to bring another furry friend into your life and bring back some structure again and we have to say it would be one very lucky furry friend.

Thinking of you and always remember if you are feeling lonely you have a lot of friends on here who will be more than happy to help you though this difficult time.
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
joan1
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by joan1 »

Our furry companions may leave are side but they stay in our hearts forever
Please know that we understand and share your sadness
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

So sorry to read your sad news Paul sending you love from here.

Run free sweet Skye
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Oh Paul, I'm so very sorry to read your sad news, my heart goes out to you. I've read of Lucas and Skye for a long time now and know how much of a support and companion Skye has been to you in recent years, such a very special lad. I know nothing I can say will help you at this time but thinking of you and hoping that in time you'll be able to find room in your heart for another companion to help heal your heart,
Sleep tight Skye, lifes work well done lad,
Des x
I
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I am so very sorry to hear you have lost Skye. Such a heartbreaking time as you two have been through so much together over the years. I wish there was something I could say or do to help ease your pain but I know how awful you will be feeling......we all do on here, please remember that you are not alone, we are all here to help and chat any time.

Thinking of you at this very sad time, run free Skye sweetheart.

Jackie x
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

So very sorry to read your post Paul, thinking of you. Run free at the bridge Skye

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador