Good vibes for Max please

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Good vibes for Max please

Post by mollie »

I think you’ve made the right decision re amputation. It’s quality of life that matters above everything else, and it sounds as thought Max is feeling fine in himself and enjoying his life as it is. I would make the same decision as you.

I hope Max is around for a good while yet. Could be longer than you expect. All crossed.

Xxx
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

I'm sorry to read that you've had such a worrying time and difficult decisions to make but you will have made the right one for your boy as you know him, his needs and have his very best interests at heart.
Sending buckets of positve vibes Max's way :love2: for the best outcome possible.
Thinking of you,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
JM
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JM »

Thanks for that!

Max had his 3rd RT session this morning - he’s been so good. He’s taking his meds with no problem, and once he’s slept off the anaesthetic, he’s his usual cheeky self, ready for walks and food!!

One more session to go, then onto chemo.

The trouble is that they have very little data on the type of tumour that Max has, so don’t really know how effective the RT and chemo will be, but they do describe the treatment as palliative 😔. But for now, he’s ‘up and at em’, and there’s no stopping him!!
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I know what you are going through my bridge girl had bone cancer started with a limp out of the blue when she was 12.5 years, treated for arthritis but the limp got worse. In the October we were on Tramadol which helped but by Jan we knew we were losing the battle as we couldn't control her pain. That was two years ago (lost her Jan 2018). Thinking of you and sending lots of healing thoughts and hugs for Max.

Jackie x
JM
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JM »

Thanks Jackie. So sorry about your girl...
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Thinking of you lovely Max you are doing so well.
Liz Molly Polly Raisin x
JM
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JM »

Well - Max has been through 4 radiotherapy sessions, followed by 3 out of 4 chemo sessions. He’s been brilliant and has coped really well with all his treatments. We took him for his 4th and last chemo and scan last Wednesday, but the scan showed that the tumour in his leg had grown a bit and the lymph node at the top of his leg is now enlarged, so they didn’t carry out the chemo s it obviously hasn’t worked!

The options now are amputation or op to remove more of the tumour again... amputation would remove the problem altogether, but may give him other problems to contend with because of his dodgy joints, and the resection op would be temporary as the tumour is likely to come back in months, and may possibly move to the bones. Max is doing brilliantly just now - he’s as active and playful as ever!

We have always discounted the amputation, and decided to try the RT/chemo. However, the vet we saw had spoken to the orthopaedic surgeon and having looked at Max’s scans etc they reckon that he would cope with amputation. He told me of a 65kg bull mastiff who had had a front leg removed who was coping really well. Max has elbow displacia and has had ops on both elbows, so what I am worried about is how would he cope with just one front leg taking the load? We’re going back to the vet school for the orthopaedic vet to physically assess Max, and I’ve asked our vet to ring me next week to see what she thinks.

So has anyone experience of a 3 legged Labrador and how they cope with amputation?

By the way, advice re insurance - keep the highest level you can for as long as you can! We’re with MoreThan who have been brilliant, but after Max’s 2 elbow ops a few of years ago, the premium went up a lot, so I reduced our cover, taking the risk that we wouldn’t need cancer treatment... uh oh!! We used the full amount of last year’s policy (plus some) with 2 scans and an op last year, then we’ve used this years policy (and some) already this year (and we only renewed in mid Jan!!)
Last edited by JM on 17 May 2020, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Sorry to hear this I am not sure what choice I would make but I am sure you will get good advice xx
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

So sorry to read the treatment hasn’t been as successful as you had hoped. Max couldn’t be in better hands than Liverpool Vet School and the cancer/orthopaedic department both of whom we have had experience with. I feel sure they will guide you into making the right direction for Max but more importantly I can vouch they would never make a decision that wasn’t in Max’s best interest regarding quality of life.

Last August while on holiday in Scotland at Port Logan a couple with 2 black labradors came on the beach one of whom only had one front leg and she was running after the ball and was the fastest out of all three of them even Fynley couldn’t bet her and he wasn’t even two years old, so it didn’t stop her enjoying life.

Beautiful photo of Max on his walk this morning, bless him :love2:

Sending lots of positive thoughts to your gorgeous boy and thinking of you at this difficult time :love3:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
JM
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JM »

Thanks everyone!
joan1
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by joan1 »

Just to let you know that in 2016 one of my dogs Bess a ten year old black lab had her front leg removed due to a tumour that they could not remove
she was a healthy fit dog at the time and she soon got used to three legs
when she came home from the vets she was hopping round the garden no problems and soon worked out how to manage the two steps
she managed well for the first six months she enjoyed her walks jumped in the back of the car and out
she even enjoyed the odd swim in the sea
but sadly the cancer had spread to her lungs and we had to let her go
but at least she had enjoyed her last six months with us
Hope this helps you make the right choice

joan williams
JM
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JM »

Thanks for that Joan - that’s really helpful! It sounds like she had a great last 6 months!
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

I would go for palliative treasure every second I would not put him through amputation I hope you have more time with him we had to do this with Ned years ago you start grieving before they go but quality of life is all we can give our dogs and dignity , always dignity xx
Love to you and the biggest gentlest hugs for your special,precious boy :cry3: