The Story of Sam

Another case of a dog with allergies that needed a special mom and dad who could give him that little extra to overcome his problems..

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

The Story of Sam

Post by Glenys »

Sam’s Story

Sam is a lovely ,placid ,handsome ,gentle boy aged 6 years.
Sam has had a history of skin problems going back some years but tying in with the birth of his family’s first child.
It has been a long drawn out thing but as I understand it he was treated by two different Vets and the family say he didn’t improve but on looking at the faxed records it seems to me that while a lot was done for Sam it didn’t come up with any real answers but Sam had periods of being ok especially at one time he was in boarding kennels and he was in excellent condition when he was picked up.
I can see a lot of money has been spent on sam but cannot understand why he was never offered a York Test

http://www.yorktest.com/en/our-tests/

Anyway the Owner being pregnant again has herself said she has found it hard to cope with bathing Sam and the constant smell of yeast emanating from him she also admits to have lost patience with him and asked for our help in finding a new place for Sam to live.
When Sam arrived last night I saw the most handsome boy and wondered why I felt a familiar feeling of déjà vu then I saw that my own beloved Mattie was his great Grandmother so this then became even more dear to my heart.
Today Kathryn took Sam to our Vets and straight away the Vet said the smell almost certainly indicated a wheat allergy and also prescribed baths and ear cleaning and drops and we are going ahead with the York test as this will prove what he is actually allergic to.
It is also possible that some of his problems could be stress related .
Yesterday he was as itchy as he could be today he has been playing and fussing everyone in the Vets and he is just adorable.
I have ordered special food for him without any wheat in it for now and will await the York test results.
My concern is this …Sams condition can be controlled it can never be cured , ongoing would be regular bathing or swimming in the sea could help, diet food which is expensive and above all someone who can commit to help this poor boy whether by one off or regular donation or a wonderful forever or foster home either way we will help..
I can promise that this dog even with all his problems is THE most lovely dog I have seen in rescue If I could I would keep him myself.

Rest assured either way this dog will get the best we can give him and we will keep his updates on the site.

Glenys

The Rescue team

Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: The Story of Sam

Post by Lins »

Good luck with Sam. He looks a wonderful boy. If anyone can do it - you can.

Hoping all goes well for his future and hopefully in a forever home.

Lins
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
carolb
Homing Coordinator
Homing Coordinator

Post by carolb »

Just have to agree with Glenys that Sam is the most gorgeous, lovable boy. Here`s hoping that with the help of the rescue and the vets we can make him comfortable and find him a new home.
Rehoming co ordinator. Tel 07399559202.
molliemoo

Post by molliemoo »

Oh what a lovely looking lad :1939: glad to hear hes at the rescue and will be getting the help he needs :1944:
Gemma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Gemma T »

Bless him - he has such a gentle face. So glad that he'll be able to get his problems sorted out from now on.
Gemma x
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

So glad you are looking after him now. He looks to be a lovely boy. :1963:
tosca100
Senior User
Senior User

Post by tosca100 »

Hopefully a new healthier life is just around the corner for poor Sam, he looks lovely.

Sara, Dave& Bonnie
A dog naps so much because it loves so hard - Anonymous
bethan

Post by bethan »

he looks gorgeous i hope they can find the problem and it can at least be controlled poor thing its not his fault bless him

bethan and max xx
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Good luck with Sam - he sounds a lovely lad. Dylan had bad skin and ears - this test showed he was allergic to dust and storage mites and a penicillin spore in the air (which isn't as bad as my friend's spaniel who was allergic to grass and ...... DOGS!). He now has a piriton every day and Burns chicken and rice and a fortnightly malaseb/episoothe bath and he is a different dog. Fingers crossed it all turns out for him . Julie
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

This boy is such a joy, he travelled well to the vets, and in the vets happily said hello to all the dogs, and loved the fussing that the nurses and vets gave him.

He is the most gentle boy I have ever met, words fail me...hoping the yorktest can find out what he is allergic too, and although he will have it for the rest of his life there are ways to control it, and make him comfortable...
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

poor Sam, at least now he is in the right place to get his problems sorted. it must be very emotional for you Glenys when Matties decendants end up in rescue.
I'm sure his new life is just around the corner.

jan xx
It is never too late.
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Bless him, he looks such a lovely gentle lad - thank god he is now at MKF where he can be cared for with love and get the right treatment for his problem.

Don't worry little Sam - I am sure your lovely forever home is just around the corner.

Lots of love

Michelle X

Millie and Barney send kisses XX
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Poor boy, he looks quite sad in the photo. Thank goodness he has been fortunate enough to end up at the Rescue. I always think skin conditions are aggravated by stress so lets hope when he gets his new forever home and settles into a routine he will improve.

Jackie x
jasper1053
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jasper1053 »

jackie wrote:Poor boy, he looks quite sad in the photo. Thank goodness he has been fortunate enough to end up at the Rescue. I always think skin conditions are aggravated by stress so lets hope when he gets his new forever home and settles into a routine he will improve.

Jackie x
I agree he looks so sad. He sounds lovely and a real gent. I hope you can work your wonders for him and help his condition and find him a fab new home.

Give him lots of loves from me and Gem

Lisa & Gemma
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

What a gorgeous boy! He looks so sad at the moment but I'm sure that'll soon change... this is the start of his new life! Well done everyone, I'm eagerly awaiting all the updates. I don't think he'll be waiting for a forever home for very long!

Good luck Sam!!

Gill x
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts