Update on Sam

Another case of a dog with allergies that needed a special mom and dad who could give him that little extra to overcome his problems..

Moderator: Forum Moderators

radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Update on Sam

Post by radar ears »

I don't want to be a pain in the posterior, but I'd like to keep you all up-dated on Sam, as a lot of you were kind enough to donate to his treatment and it's only fair to let you know.

Well my "diamond geezer" is just that !

He seems to have settled himself in and has made himself at home.

Either John or I do his ears every day and not that much crud comes out now, just a bit on the cotton wool.

His fur doesn't pong at all, it's quite sleek actually, in fact one of our allotment holders remarked to me yesterday about what a lovely coat he had.

He mooched around the allotments with me yesterday and made friends with loads of people, who all gave him a lot of fuss, needless to say the "ever-wagging" Labrador tail was on overtime!

Sam and Benji get on fine, I knew they would, Benji is a bit funny with people, he either likes them or he doesn't, but with other dogs, he's fine.

Last thing at night, Sam goes out for his tiddle and then comes straight back in and lays down on his bed, then when John and I have got in bed, he comes up and lays down just outside our bedroom door and goes to sleep.

We live in a bungalow and our dogs have always slept in our bedroom, in their own beds, mind you, but always near us, they are not allowed on the bed though.

Ok, so it's not everyone's cup of tea, but we like to have them near us, they're part of the family.

I think Sam's finally cottoned on that he's here to stay and he won't get shoved out in the garden at the drop of a hat.

All in all, he's a really affectionate dog, as most Labs are, he's laying at my feet in my little office at the moment.

Glenys said that hopefully we should have the result of the York test in a couple of days time, so we can find out what he's allergic to.

The poor thing can't have any treats at the moment and I feel so mean and guilty, slipping Benji the odd biscuit when Sam's not looking !

I'm going to take some pictures soon, but I can't get to grips with the digital camera that I've got, I've had it for ages, but never got around to using it, I asked one of my nephews to show me and he showed me so quick, that I'm still none the wiser !

I'll take some on my mobile and do it that way to start with, I can manage that!

That's all for now, will keep you posted on his progress.
Take care everyone and thanks for helping him.

Regards
Jill & John
xx
Mick (my "blondie" Lab) 2nd February 2009 aged 15
Benji (my Collie) 14th September 2010 aged 14½
Bruce (my "blackie" Lab) 8th March 2015 aged 13 (rough guess)
Sam (my "blackie" Lab) 27th April 2015 aged 13

Always with me, xx
Blakey
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Update on Sam

Post by Blakey »

Oh Jill - please don't think that you're "a pain in the posterior". We've been waiting to hear how Sam has been settling in and can't wait for more updates.

It sounds like the little fella has well and truly got his paws under the table and it sounds like he's having a great time in his new home.

I'm sure that he will repay you a thousand times over for taking him into your hearts. :1973:

Love

JOANNE

XXX
Blake - My Special Boy, Forever In My Heart
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

:1961: :1961: :1961:

Lovely!!

Gill, Meg and Maisie

:occasion7: :occasion7: :occasion7:
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

Lovely update, we like to hear how they are getting on.

jan xx
It is never too late.
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

That's ok then, thanks for the re-assurance.

It's just that with the millions of dogs Glenys and the others re-home, Sam is a cog in the big wheel of life, however, the ones, such as Sam and Brodie, are those that need that extra bit of TLC and do pull at our heartstrings more.

I first came to know about this rescue when I googled "rescue Labradors".

I looked at a few other sites but it was this one that drew me to it, the reason it did was that I liked the look of it, it looked friendly (thanks go to you, Ian, for that) and after reading about how the rescue came about, then looking at the dogs and finally reading peoples' posts on the forum, I thought to myself, I like it on here.

You see, although some of you have other breeds, you all, I should imagine, have Labs as well and what I have particularly noticed, only being a member for a short time, is that no-one is "snotty", no-one thinks that their knowledge of the breed is better than anyone else's.

There are some of you that know each other in person, there are some of you that don't know each other from Adam, but the way everyone interacts on here is absolutely great, like coming forward with transport from here to there when needed, fostering and donating for causes such as Sam's.

I have been on other ordinary dog sites and you can almost see the underlying self-importance of some of the members, one, who was supposed to have been an S.R.N. for 31 years almost ridiculed me when I happened to say that my vet had prescribed a particular product for a "hot spot" that Mick had.

She posted " I think you mean such and such" so I posted "I don't, I mean EXACTLY what I've said and I'm reading it off the bottle to prove it" !

That annoyed and upset me so much that I have never been back to that forum again and never will.
I'm staying here, it's cosy, like an old, well worn slipper !

Regards
Jill

Always with me, xx
baileysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by baileysmum »

It is so lovely to hear updates on Sam especially as he has a similar condition to Anna (Rhianna), If only we can find someone special for Anna.
Please do keep updating on Sam as it does help the rescue out when they get dogs that may sometimes have small "special needs" it proves that all they need is some TLC and that they aren't as hardwork as you would imagine them to be.

By the way Anna says "Hiya Ben glad you've settled in at your new home"

Look forward to hearing more.
A dog wags its tail with its heart.
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Hi, Jill and welcome to you and yours and of cause Sam. We love to hear about all the dogs whether Adopted, Fostered or special needs and most of us always try to donate to special requests for help from Glenys. Please continue to kep us update todate on Sams progress.

:1944:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

Thanks for the update on Sam, he is a special boy who seemed to get under everyones skin who met him, when I took him to the vets he was a dream and lapped up all the fuss that the vets and nurses gave him..when I was in the other day one of the nurses asked about him and I told her he had gone to his new home, which she was pleased about.

Look forward to the pictures if you can manage it send them to one of us and we will gladly put them on for you....

Kathryn.
natty

Post by natty »

There can NEVER be too many updates :1966: :1966:
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Some dogs tug at everyone's heart strings and Sam was one of those. Lovely to hear an update, do keep us all posted :1951:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Definitely never get fed up with updates, we can't get enough of them on here! It sounds like he has really settled in nicely with you and he seems such a lovely, laid back boy. I bet you will be pleased when the results come back so you know where to begin with things, but it is very promising that his coat is improving already :1945:

Jackie x
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

It'll be good when we know the outcome of the tests, I was starting to wonder if he was slightly diabetic because he seemed to drink loads more water than my Mick ever did, but the last two days he's just drunk what we consider to be a normal amount.

I did ask Glenys about it and she said that it could be because of the change of coming down here, plus he's on the dry food at the moment.

I wouldn't mind betting that the majority of his trouble is/was all down to stress.

I have to laugh though, Glenys said he was a nicker, well he goes snooting around for grub and as soon as John went out yesterday, when he (Sam) thought I wasn't looking, he went into the kitchen and climbed on the chair, determined to reach something, (but there was nothing there to reach in any case) I said in a loud voice "and what d'you think you're doing on there" and he shot down and went into the garden!

Came back looking all contrite and sorry for himself !

I can see it'll be like watching a puppy again :1968:

Jill

Always with me, xx
lab_lover
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by lab_lover »

HaHaHaHa thats so funny, My Simmy was a "nicker"

4 X Cornish pasties that my mum had bought from Morrisons for the dinner
1 X packet of frozen rolls that had been left on the side to defrost
1 X Bottle of buttercup syrup, left on the table
1 X Box of cereal which was on a low shelf
1 X Wrapped up box of Christmas chocolates..poor boy never got into the individual wrappers and was crying when we got up in the morning as he looked at the contents of his bed which was shredded wrapping paper and lots of un-eaten chocs. Can't decide if he was crying with shame or disapointment that he couldn't get into the chocolate wrappers HaHaHaHa

You gotta love'em

Jenny
xxxxx
Simba my beautiful boy, you will always be in my heart, I will miss you forever
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

I must have been spoiled with my Mick, because he didn't nick anything.
When he was a pup he tried to, but as he got older you could leave a sandwich within reach of him and he wouldn't touch it.

We've hidden Benji's biscuits away from Sam, (because the poor thing can't have any at the moment) on the top shelf of our wardrobe and we went out just for an hour today to pick something up and when we got back the door of the wardrobe was open, I bet the nosy bu--er had either opened the door with his paw or nudged it with his nose to try and get them.

Always with me, xx
lab_lover
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by lab_lover »

Awww bless him, can he not have wheat and gluten free treats?

I think you can get them from Pets at Home

These are 6 products that are supposedly wheat free.

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category ... pgs-is-133

Jenny
xxxxx
Simba my beautiful boy, you will always be in my heart, I will miss you forever