Update on Sam

Another case of a dog with allergies that needed a special mom and dad who could give him that little extra to overcome his problems..

Moderator: Forum Moderators

carolb
Homing Coordinator
Homing Coordinator

Re: Update on Sam

Post by carolb »

I have to laugh at the thought that Sam is settled in enough to be rifling through your cupboards and drawers the minute your backs turned :1951: It`s just his character coming out :1967: Glad your taking it in good spirit, we`ve had dogs given up or returned for lesser crimes :2008: Can`t wait for pics of him in his new home. :1971:
Rehoming co ordinator. Tel 07399559202.
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

Hi Jenny,
I don't want to give him anything yet, Glenys advised me not to chance it, until I know what is or isn't the matter, however he thinks he's having treats, because when we come back if we've have to go out for a little while, I give Benji a dog biscuit and I give Sam a couple of the hypoallergenic "bead" things that he has for his dinner and he's satisfied with that.

Going on to what Carol has said, anyone who returns a dog for some stupid reason, in my humble opinion, never was a committed dog person in the first place.

I am pleased that he has found his feet and feels at home enough to snoot round, it seems like we've always had him.

As much as I love Benji (John's dog, who of course has been "our dog" since we've been a couple for all these years, same as my Mick was "our dog" even though he was really mine) I still missed having a Labrador about the house.

Life just feels "right" again now, we don't worry if he gets up to mischief, he'll be told about it and that's it, he'll learn!

He gives himself away anyway, if you say, just in a normal tone of voice, "who's done this" (referring to when the wardrobe door was open) he slinks off to the back door, lays down and hangs his head in embarrassment or shame and looks up with "side eyes" if you know what I mean.

I feel so sad when he does it, bless him, I want to grab him straight away and cuddle him for all I'm worth, but I have to wait a few minutes, then make up with him.

When you tell him it's ok and pat him on the head, the old tail starts wagging and he's back to normal, padding around, wanting a fuss.

He's laying at my feet, asleep, as I type, he just loves to be with you, wherever you are.

John and I are usually at home all day, but if we have to go out together, it's only for an hour or two at most, which is nothing really and I think it's good for the dogs to be together without us, every now and then.

It reminds me of the line in the old song called "my brother" by Terry Scott, which goes: "You know he's good when he's asleep, but you don't know what he's dreaming about do you!"

Jill
Mick (my "blondie" Lab) 2nd February 2009 aged 15
Benji (my Collie) 14th September 2010 aged 14½
Bruce (my "blackie" Lab) 8th March 2015 aged 13 (rough guess)
Sam (my "blackie" Lab) 27th April 2015 aged 13

Always with me, xx
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

He is settling in well methinks... :1939: a dog was returned the other week as it had eaten some flowers in the garden,anyone knows you dont have a prestine garden AND a dog!! I have had holes the size of Australia in my garden and here is the proof,given the chance Paddy will dig for england....

This is Paddy at the tender age of 8 months on his first attempt to get to Australia.

benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Crumbs! Not far to dig then!!! :1966: :1966: :1966:
lab_lover
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by lab_lover »

HaHaHaHa Kathryn that certainly has tickled me hahaha
Simba my beautiful boy, you will always be in my heart, I will miss you forever
Linda&David
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Linda&David »

kathryn wrote:a dog was returned the other week as it had eaten some flowers in the garden
You are jokeing Kathryn?

A labrador is born to garden.

David.
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

When my Mick was a pup, I had a reasonable garden, but I wasn't that bothered about it, but I did have three rather large pansy heads that were quite striking.

I knew Mick liked trying to get flowers because the pictures that Pat and Roger (the people we got him off) gave me of him from when he was born until the time we picked him up, one of them showed Mick trying to get to some flowers with his nose through a little gap.

Anyway, one day I was at the back door looking out into the garden with Harry, (my late husband) and my Mick, all of about 10/12 weeks old or around that age anyway, was mooching about in the garden.

It went like this:
Me to Harry " look at those three lovely big Pansy heads Harry"
Mick - CHOMP
Me to Harry " look at those two lovely big Pansy heads Harry"
Mick - CHOMP
Me to Harry " look at that one big Pansy head Harry"
Mick - CHOMP
Me to Harry " we did have some nice Pansy heads, didn't we Harry"

I still can't help chuckling to myself about it when I think of it.

Jill

Always with me, xx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Kathryn I saw him with the JCB :1967:
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

I love to hear the updates so please keep posting them! Sounds like Sam has really landed on his four paws... thanks to you for giving him a chance in life!
Looking forward to seeing some photo's!

Gill and Coco x
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts
baileysbunny

Post by baileysbunny »

Jill

Enjoy reading your updates on Sam. He looks such a beautiful dog and I agree with you that stress is most probably a major factor of his problems. He now has the most wonderful 'forever home' with you both and he can only thrive from here on in.

Oscar who we rescued almost 3 weeks ago is my constant shadow and what a wonderful dog he is. He can be left for 2 hours on his own (which has happened on about 3 occassions) but yesterday he appears to have become stressed and clawed at the front door - a bit of a mess - but I wouldnt give him up for the world - I was out for an hour today and when I came back he was chilled and lying on the couch. I am going to try and load pics and update site on his progress on Friday.

So very sad reading that people return dogs for such ridiculous reasons - you just wonder about such people????

Jacqueline
Garyt
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Garyt »

Keep em coming we like updates :1944:

But we Really like Photo,s :1939: :1939:
Sounds like Sam has really settled in with the two of you :1951: Great
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

I love reading the updates especially since I have met Jill and read her posts in a Essex accent :1951:
The wardrobe one is really funny.
Dear old Sam so grateful you gave him this lovely home xx
Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

John and I are at home most of the time, if we have to go out, it's either to the Royal British Legion for a meeting (I'm voluntary Secretary and John is voluntary Chairman) or to the allotments down the road and round the corner.

We are probably only out for about an hour at most, here and there.

Well, when we go out, the little Munchkin seizes his opportunity to go snooting round, yesterday morning we came back and I said to John, he hasn't opened those wardrobe doors, John said "no, that's because I've tied string around them"!

However, another wardrobe door was open, so I reckon he thought he'd try his luck in there !

For those that are new and don't know, it's because Sam is awaiting the results of an allergy test and he can't have any treats yet, so we have to hide Benji's biscuits on the top shelf of the wardrobe.

Last night, we popped off to the allotments, we were gone half hour at most, when we came back, we were greeted at the door by both dogs, John walked into the kitchen followed by Sam, wagging his tail for all it's worth, when he must have suddenly remembered what he'd done and he dropped to the floor, crouching there, with that sad look on his face again. :oops:

What he had done was, because I'd forgotton to move the chair, :2019: he'd climbed on to the chair, leant over the worktop to the back and dis-lodged a HUGE industrial paper towel roll that John had deliberately wedged between the crockpot and the bottom of our wall cupboards, so that he couldn't get at it, (obviously in vain !) the crockpot houses Benji's grub. Although we cook meat for our dogs, we give them doggie "mixer" so they get their proper vitamins.

The crockpot is a big one, but fortunately, there wasn't that much in it and that was upright on the floor empty.
We didn't shout at him, we don't shout, we just point to the offending item and he knows what he's done, because he puts his paw up to John to say sorry.

He hasn't had any ill effects, except that he cra--ed for England this morning, so I would say that he has well and truly made himself at home.

We are thinking of changing his name to Fagin :1968:

You just can't help but love him, the little villain :love5:

Jill

Always with me, xx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

This is becoming the adventures of Sam aka Fagin :1970:
Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

typical :1968: :1968: :1968: :1968:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador