Fagin aka Sam, a dog with an eye for the main chance.

Another case of a dog with allergies that needed a special mom and dad who could give him that little extra to overcome his problems..

Moderator: Forum Moderators

radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Fagin aka Sam, a dog with an eye for the main chance.

Post by radar ears »

I know I always laugh about Sam and his nicking, but when Glenys told me he was a very clever nicker, I just assumed that he tried it with foods that he could reach up and get.

Because of this, if we have to go out for a short while, which is not very often, he settles on his bed in my computer room and we close the door, otherwise he just roams around looking for food.

I wouldn't mind, but it's not as if he doesn't get good grub.

Well, I went to Norfolk as usual on Friday and this morning (Saturday) John rang me and said that he'd popped up the road for about 15 minutes, when he came back, Sam didn't greet him as usual, only Benji was at the door, Sam sloped off and laid down, so John just knew he'd been up to mischief.

He had managed to move the table from in front of the freezer, open the freezer door and consume between six and eight choc ices, complete with the wrappers and half a pack of frozen carrots.

He would have started on the tub of Rossi's ice cream, which was on the floor, had he been able to get the lid off!

I'm surprised that he didn't just bite through it.

At the moment the little gonif (thief) is asleep, probably dreaming of making his next pounce!
Mick (my "blondie" Lab) 2nd February 2009 aged 15
Benji (my Collie) 14th September 2010 aged 14½
Bruce (my "blackie" Lab) 8th March 2015 aged 13 (rough guess)
Sam (my "blackie" Lab) 27th April 2015 aged 13

Always with me, xx
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Fagin aka Sam, a dog with an eye for the main chance.

Post by jackiem »

The little scamp!
Jackie
lab_lover
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by lab_lover »

:1968: sounds so funny hehehe

Jenny
xxxxxx
Simba my beautiful boy, you will always be in my heart, I will miss you forever
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

:1968: :1968: He sounds a very cheeky boy.

Jackie x
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Sounds like Sam and Buddie have a great deal in common!!! :1966: :1966: :1966:

I think Sam should go to Iceland for a job!! :1968: :1968: :1968:
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

Someone suggested child locks to us today.

You see, my Mick never nicked anything, you could leave a sandwich or your whole dinner within reach and he'd leave it alone.

We've agreed (John and I ) that we'll just have to think of Sam as an "evergreen nicker" and pre-empt what he is going to do.

The thing is though, child locks on the fridge won't be the end of it, he reaches up and dislodges everything, even when it is out of his reach, we put the chairs upside down in the kitchen, so he can't get on them to reach anything.

He's worked out how to get at and how to get in to the blue bin that we have to put out food scraps in, even when the handle is locked down.

Our town is full "recycle" so all the households were provided with this plastic bin for food scraps, he had that down the other day, that's now put further out of the way, hopefully out of reach than it was before.

When we're out on a walk on dustbin day, as he passes all the neighbours' blue bins, I know that he wants to go up and root in them, because he knows what's in them, not that he gets the chance to!

As soon as he's done it, he knows he's done wrong, but his tummy rules his head I reckon.

We'll cure him of it eventually, we'll have to be as crafty as him!

Always with me, xx
natty

Post by natty »

What a clever dog, not a good one just a clever one :1968:

my Henny is a bit of a tea leaf, I think that she is always worried that the next meal will not arrive :2019:

even after a year she still fears that someone will take away her dish before she is finished.

what is an "evergreen nicker" ?
tosca100
Senior User
Senior User

Post by tosca100 »

Oh dear, how frustrating. We are very lucky that way in that Bonnie isn't really a thief, I have had one in the past and had to be so careful to put everything out of reach, empty bins etc every time he was left. It's a little frustrating that you have to go through such a rigramole every time you go through the door, even for just a second. As with Sam, Rip was very loved and well looked after, looked really well all his 17 years (helped by the fact he was black and brindle) and I'm afraid to say he was NEVER cured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :1970:

Mind you, no morsel of bread or seed put out for the birds goes undetected by Bonnie!!!!! :1967:

Sara
A dog naps so much because it loves so hard - Anonymous
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

Hi Natty, :1954:

What I meant by an "evergreen nicker" is that he'll always nick.

"Evergreen" is used to describe something that never stops, like a tree that remains green throughout the year, therefore because I know Sam will never stop nicking, that's what I referred to him as.

My friend told me that black labs are renown for nicking, more so than the other colours, if that's true, that's something I never knew.

Jill

Always with me, xx
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

:1968: :1968: :1968:
I can afford to laugh as Molly isn't a nicker. I think I have said this before, she prefers her ball to a bowl. In my humble opinion, labs will be labs as far as food is concerned, no matter what colour! :1941:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
arlyj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by arlyj »

Bless him - he sounds like a proper artful dodger :1966: :1966:

Buster is a dreadful thief too, but there is no finesse to his actions. He relies purely on his size to get him to the far reaches of the worktop, cooker....or through your legs

Arlyn x
Labs - mud, hair, drool, love, laughs, life.....