What is involved in the birth and later

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

What is involved in the birth and later

Post by Glenys »

Many people think that an animal giving birth is a natural thing which it should be but generally a pregnant dog would have been given supplements like people they can suffer from eclampsia she should also have had an increased food intake and most importantly wormed.
So we are watching for any signs that may not be good but the fact she is fit and active she may have an easy labour.
So the signs are she is now nesting tearing up newspapers generally making a nest for the babies she will become increasingly restless,maybe shivering she will not know whats happening if labour goes well she will part with her first puppy sometimes humans have to tear open the membrane to allow the puppy to breath and turn the puppy upside down to clear the mucus away Mum should then wash the baby and stimulate it if not vigourous rubbing with a towel by the human to get the pup going then get her feeding.
Depending on how swift labour is if she starts to bear down soon the puppy will need to be moved to one side to prevent being laid ot stamped on.
Usually a warm blanket or hot water bottle covered will keep the pup warm till Mum is free to care for it.
All the time the temperature in the room kept at the right heat not enough to distress the Mum but enough to keep babies warm.

So good luck Carol i am here if needed.

I will do another bit later of what to expect .....
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Re: What is involved in the birth

Post by Glenys »

As we now know the birth went well for Gracie and Mum is feeding the pups well,potential problems were that some Bitches dont come into milk straight away which leaves everyone panicking and reaching for the baby milk but Gracie did very well inspite of no real forward planning made for the birth.
Thank goodness we had things her to improvise and send with her we are awaiting delivery of more profleece, the reason we use this type of beeding is that Mum cleans up after the pups for the first weeks she needs to wash their tummies to em[ty their bladders etc.. that is why they do that rough washing routine
amazing how they know what to do, the profleece is like a one way nappy any wet goes through and keeps mum and puppies dry
The next two weeks she will care for the pups needs and Carol will be her servant washing bedding changing papers giving her nourishing food several times a day and of course ever watchful that she doesnt lie on the pups.

When the pups eyes open at about ten days they will start to motor round the box more and when they can see is when we will start the weaning period which means as well as Mums milk we introduce weaning Milk I favour semi solid rather than runny and squashed up pulp of meat usually on the palm of my hand its warm and pups will lick it off this is a painstaking process but important especially with a fast growing breed like Labs as they take everything from Mum and at two weeks onward start to get sharp little teeth and they hurt when feeding so when they eventually start eating properly they will go on Mum less and less till she just tops them up.
The beauty of the freedom pen we have got is that the Mum can get away from the pups when she wants to over a small slide in gate then the main little gate can be closed and opened ideal for birthing and whelping in a house.
to be continued.................

Below is the pen Image
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

All this information is great, Glenys and really interesting. Keep it coming!!!
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Will do Aileen I also want to point out to spare a thought for litters who are born in breeding establishment they often dont get the treatment that caring breeders or caring rescues give to new borns.
We are trying to give a great start in life to these pups because this is where the temperament comes in,knowing kindness from the word go hearing their first kind human voice it makes a difference.

When we used to breed for showing ie: to imrove the breed and produce a show dog one particular dog who lived with my friends as they bought him from a pup used to be so excited when he heard my voice and I knew he hadnt forgotten me when I used to tallk to the puppies all the time in the Nest it was lovely and I saw him in old age just before he died and he gave me the same welcome even though I may not have seen him for a long time.
What happens in these early days will shape the dog forever.
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Re: What is involved in the birth and later

Post by Emma T »

This is really interesting Glenys, I knew nothing about this so please keep the updates coming. And yes after your first post I did wonder how much care mums get in the nasty breeding places, poor little loves.
Emma
mollysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollysmum »

I do think that they do remember their human mums as well. We live fairly close to where we got Katie from and as she was born into a family environment and was well cared for, whenever she sees and hears her human mum she gets very excited and whinnies at her.
Linda
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Thank you Glenys, this is all really interesting.

These pups are being given the best possible chance and start in life thanks to the rescue and it's supporters. The pups are going to be lovely.

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
zaraandmax

Post by zaraandmax »

This has been really interesting, having never bred dogs
only pigs I am intreagued at some differnces. The main one
being piglets are born with sharp pointed teeth that hurt alot
if you get bitten. What's a dogs gestation period? Pigs are
3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days. Please keep goin with this thread
love hazel
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Yes this is a good post Glenys, it is important that people understand the risk involved with breeding. It may also ensure people ask the right questions of their breeders if they are considering buying a pup. I know this is a Rescue website but general understanding of breeding and the promotion of good breeding is a good thing, have to grasp every opportunity in the hope that one day people have get a dog for the right reasons and they do their homework when approaching breeders.

Jackie x
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LabRes1 »

I think this is a great topic - as you say Jackie its a rescue site but information about proper breeding etc and what does, or should happen is always worth knowing. We bought Toby as a goldie pup - when we went to see him he looked lovely - and we couldnt see anything wrong. We went back two weeks later to collect him. We were given some of his food which when we went to buy some turned out to be the cheapest tripe type thing money could buy and the cheapest buscuits. He soon because dehydrated and ended up at the vet a few days later. He weighed 3.5kg - which to the uninitiated seemed ok - until the vet said he should have been about 8! We ended up starting from scratch with weetabix and warm milk and easing him onto proper food under Glenys' guidance. He has turned out to be a cracker but we could so easily have lost him.

Having followed poppys progress from conception through to coming home with us - well we have now seen how it should be done - the amount of time, care, quality food and treatment that went into pops and her brothers was an eye opener - I wish we had seen that before we got Toby!

These pups may only be 'rescue dogs' but I can assure everyone that they will receive nothing but the best from Glenys, Carol and Sue and be treated in exactly the same way that Nell was..
-------------------------------
Canine Hydrotherapist Training
Canine Therapies Academy
www.caninetherapiesacademy.co.uk
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

I was just thinking last night about these dreaded puppy farms and the difference the loving care and attention these puppies are getting compared to those.

We are so fortunate in that we have a multitude of caring people on this site, and of course, spare a thought of what would have happended to all the hundreds of dogs that have been rehomed through MKF and the dedications of all the staff and volunteers.

Can't praise you all highly enough.

Thank you
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Gestation is 63 days normally.

I think a lot of temperament problems in dogs start at birth and the environment they came from for instance as I said earlier when weaning begines I would put whatever soft porridge similar in my hand the puppy would trust my hand after all with dogs relying on smell the hand would be warm instead of shoving a young pups nose into a cold bowl.
Sometimes when a pup wont feed from the Mum imdedietly after birth they will suckle your hand so ease the pup onto the teat that way and gently hold them on.
In a puppy farm only the fittest pups survive the ones who fight for the Mums teats and the weaker ones that fade away... we wouldnt want to lose any pup and would want to try to encourage the weaker pup.
To be honest I hate the word Runt of the litter ! one similar dog ended up being one of my best dogs.
In a puppy farm pups would be left on a Mum often Mum cannot get away so they are hurting her and taking everything from her up to six weeks now a Labrador pup is quite rough at that age I prefer to have Pups weaned off with just a Mummy cudddle and top up at 4 1/2 to five weeks to give Mum time to recover and we pump in all the best food into the pups as well i usually cook mince up and feed royal cannin food.

We wonder why temperaments are a problem now in some Labs but I think its because of how they are reared .
These pups will only know love and hopefully carry that through their lives as we will only choose the very best homes for them.
billybluemoor

Post by billybluemoor »

This really is the nitty-gritty of it all isn't it !! It's all very interesting and demonstrates a lot more goes into it than just finding homes for unwanted dogs !
Well done Glenys, your knowledge is invaluable in situations like this.

I got 'Billy' from a breeder called Dorothy Brewer, who was a personal friend of Glenys, and she had 3 pups at the time, all black. Huge puppies they were. After a lot of personal questions, ( Dorothy wouldn't just sell her beloved pups to just anybody) , we choose the biggest male and went to see them a couple of times before the time was right to bring him home. And when we did, Dorothy gave us a card with specific instructions to be followed to the letter about the feeding of this large male puppy. I can remember feeding him 3 Weetabix and warm milk for breakfast, and for supper, it was half a tin of rice pudding and half a tin of warm milk, can't remember what was on the menu for lunch and teatime. I always made a point of having my fingers in the warm dish whilst he was eating, withdrawing at the crucial moments of course. I can also remember rubbing a big wolly jumper of mine on his mum before we brought him home so that he would smell his mothers scent and not feel to much concern.Dorothy also thought this was a good idea. Billy has been loved from the minute he came home and has never once shown us any aggression, except in play. He's been a constant companion for the last almost 12 years and has probably been the best, certainly the most memorable Labrador. And all because I set about purchasing him through the right channels !!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

It's just the same with children - love and kindness with clear parameters ( was Head of 2 secondary schools for 13 years - saw it all the time in young people's 'conditioned' behaviours).
Bless these beautiful doggie babies.
Elizabeth and Bobby xx
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

This is fantastic information... I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know a half of what to expect! I'd never be able to cope and would go into a total panic! Well done everyone!
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts