The Pups

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Pups

Post by LabRes1 »

Glenys is the expert on chocs but if I remember one of the discussions we once had, chocs come from Black labs and its something to do with a gene that makes a choc - i'm sure she will explain properly when she reads this - and stops laughing at my attempted explanation
:1968:
-------------------------------
Canine Hydrotherapist Training
Canine Therapies Academy
www.caninetherapiesacademy.co.uk
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

Hi Gill
I think it's to do with genetics. Certain clolours are dominant and others recessive.You can have black dominant-in which case all the pups will be black, but you can also have black parents who have recessive genes in their pedigrees-so you then can get black, choc or yellow pups, so the colour of the pups will depend whether their parents carry the dominant or recessive gene.
(Glenys or John are the experts on this topic, I think).

Labs come in 3 colours black, yellow & choc. The chocs until quite recently were considered inferior to the blacks & yellows (how could they think that???) And some breeders would actually "dispose" of any choc pups!!!!! :2012:
The yellow Lab can be almost white or cream-going as dark as a "Fox Red". (The dog I was brought up with as a child was fox red-and the most beautiful lovely boy-but he was still "A yellow Lab"

Then you have the Americans who try to insist there's such a thing as "A Silver Lab". They insist it's a pure bred Lab,but it looks very much like a first cross between a yellow lab and a Weimaraner to me. These are just my personal understandings- i may be wrong tho and hope I've not offended anyone

love Alison & Charlie XXXX
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

Alison B wrote:Hi Gill
I think it's to do with genetics. Certain clolours are dominant and others recessive.You can have black dominant-in which case all the pups will be black, but you can also have black parents who have recessive genes in their pedigrees-so you then can get black, choc or yellow pups, so the colour of the pups will depend whether their parents carry the dominant or recessive gene.
(Glenys or John are the experts on this topic, I think).

Labs come in 3 colours black, yellow & choc. The chocs until quite recently were considered inferior to the blacks & yellows (how could they think that???) And some breeders would actually "dispose" of any choc pups!!!!! :2012:
The yellow Lab can be almost white or cream-going as dark as a "Fox Red". (The dog I was brought up with as a child was fox red-and the most beautiful lovely boy-but he was still "A yellow Lab"

Then you have the Americans who try to insist there's such a thing as "A Silver Lab". They insist it's a pure bred Lab,but it looks very much like a first cross between a yellow lab and a Weimaraner to me. These are just my personal understandings- i may be wrong tho and hope I've not offended anyone

love Alison & Charlie XXXX
Thanks for that Alison. It was one of those things that you suddenly wonder about or I do :1961: :1961:

Gill
x
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Thanks for your posting Alison - I find it all very interesting. Our Molly who went to the bridge almost 5 years ago was black but when the sun shone we could see chocolate in her, Toby who we lost last May was classed as a yellow but was almost white - in fact the whitest lab I have ever seen - his picture is on the banners! Millie is what I would describe as fox red - she is dark and Barney is almost as dark - I really love this colour and as you say they are classed as yellow. So there are many variations in shades with the yellows - I have to say though whatever colour labs are the best!

Love Michelle X

PS Hope you are OK?
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home