Update Norrie good news

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Update Norrie good news

Post by Glenys »

FROM KY ........we have just returned from the vets for Norrie's latest check up and weigh in and suffice to say I am a very happy bunny.

We have as you know been on a roller coaster what with him wanting to eat and then not wanting to eat etc well the course of steroids last week seem to have done their trick and the last couple of days, touch wood, fingers crossed, he has eaten all meals with gusto. The breakthrough came on sunday night when he had eaten all his minced lamb, not much of it, and was obviously still hungry and so in desperation I fed him a bag of his Wainwrights hypoallergenic treats-the first thing with any sort of texture he has allowed into him mouth in ages, he ate THE LOT and so I had to have a glass of wine to celebrate, I know you will understand.

From then on his appetite has gradually improved and yesterday and so far today he has eaten a normal portion. So back to todays vet visit, he adores going to the vets and I now take him after surgery so everyone can stop what they are doing and make a fuss. First the weigh in.............. huge drum roll please ................. today he weighed in at 22.1 kilos................ phew........ heading in the right direction again. His weight if you remember dropped when he had the upset stomach as he was 21.05 kilos on feb 10th and then dropped to 20.5 on feb 17th but now a glorious 22.1kilos so a definite increase.

This means since he arrived and despite all set backs he has put on a grand total of 5.6 kilos or in real money 12.32lbs--- very nearly a stone. Sorry to go on but you will never know what a relief it is.

He is to remain on the steroids albeit a reduced dose. The reasoning behind this is the fact the gut lining is thin and very posssibly damaged from the years of, I am sorry here but there is no other word, neglect he has suffered. He is to carry on with his prebiotics and also he has started a joint supplement. I have to start this off in minute quantities and build it up very gradually so as not to disturb the fine balance of his guts. The reasoning behind putting him on this now is as the x rays showed one hip is not good and so with the increase in weight best to offer some sort of joint support before it actually cries out for it, here the vet is thinking positive that his weight will increase. He is still painfully thin despite the weight gain and so really is a lab that should be a big well made dog, in fact if he was the size to match his feet somewhere in the mid 30's of kilos is a guess.

His character continues to develop for example he has decided that when he can see the sheep through the dining room window he will bark at them and after each bark grumble, if I shut the door so he cannot see them he barks at the door for me to open it so he can see the sheep!!!!! He generally gets fed up after 3 or 4 hours!!!!

The grabbing clothing continues to be his favourite game, I fear the dressing gown will not last much longer and you have to remember to tuck scarves inside your coat otherwise you are nearly strangled. Yesterday he took great delight in grabbing the end of the scarf of thelady who came to see Penny. He is yet another boot pincher and blanket dragger so between him and Grayse I actually seldom have a boot at all and he loves tying you up with a piece of vet bed, I know Bev and Bendy Brenda know exactly what i mean.

Suddenly the world is a better place when Norrie does something as simple as clear his bowl, it is odd how your goals and ambitions change. I emailed and texted everyone I know just to let them know Norrie had eaten, luckily eveyone knows i am quite mad.

I know there will be other set backs but really do hope there are not but for now it really is "onwards and upwards".

Ky and Norrie xx

Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Update Norrie good news

Post by Ann Mee »

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: This post has made my day, he looks sooo much better in the picture although you say he is still painfully thin.

Well done to everyone I hope he continues to thrive :love3: :love3: :love3:

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
skippy1962uk
Senior User
Senior User

Post by skippy1962uk »

Weldone him he looks great
NOW TAKING BOOKINGS FOR 2015 2014 full till mid October
Dog boarding in our own home free run of gardens and house ,no kennels also just a short walk to Towneley park Burnley Lancashire
check facebook out
also you are welcome to join our facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/223486261085758/
Johndale
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Johndale »

Your text brought a tear to my eye. Every time I brought my last dog back from the brink & her feeding became regularised I was so full of joy, so I know how you feel, Ky.
Well I am so happy Norrie is responding....onwards & upwards. :bighug:

John & Teddyxx
eamonnmoore
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eamonnmoore »

:bravo: its great news and a fab piccy well done ky & geoff
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

Wonderful news, and that picture is just lovely. I love picturing him playing with Grayse and I think we should club together and buy you the most sumptuous dressing gown ever Ky! Will keep everything crossed still for further improvement for this gorgeous special lad x
Emma
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Norrie is looking better, the weight gain is starting to show :1939: :1939: :1939:
Well done Ky. Bet you were walking on air after his weekly weigh-in :love3:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Fabulous news for Norrie :2379:

Thanks again Ky.

Alisonx
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Ky

Love the update I am just amazed that he has put on in excess of 12 pounds, 5 or 6 kilo's looks nothing compared with 12 pounds :rofl:

What ever he is eating is going on all the right places. :3508:

He may still look thin to you, but he looks a whole let better than the picture on the first page.

Keep it up Norrie. :love4: :love4:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
maxie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by maxie »

Ky, what brilliant news! I'm so pleased for you - and for Norrie. You must be over the moon,

Joan :bravo:
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

:bravo: :bravo: I'm sooooooooooo pleased for you Ky.

Love the new picture of Norrie. :love2: :love2:

Champagne at the ready when he reaches 30 kg.

Many thanks again Ky ,Geoff and David. :love3: :love3: :love3:

Kay.xx
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Well done to you all. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I'm with Kath, 12lbs sounds much better than 5 or 6 kilos. :1967:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Bev Rowley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Bev Rowley »

O Ky I can't stop smiling at this news. great big hugs for Norrie :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Bev, Alfie and Bendy Brenda xxx
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

:1952: Oh Ky, that's a great, great achievement, especially when converted to real money! You must be so pleased!
from my four to Norrie :love4:
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

What a wonderfui update - the best so far :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Onwards and upwards, I feel sure!!

Keep it up Norrie - pleeeesee!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x