Nother naughty Norrie update

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Nother naughty Norrie update

Post by Glenys »

From Ky :

well here we are 8 weeks and many grey hairs in and I am in a reflective mood.

Norrie has we know improved over the last 8 weeks, he has put weight on in fact in total from arriving he has put 6 kilos on and every single gram of it hard work on our part. Food does not interest him at all, he will have 2-3 days where he eats all in front of him and then 2-3 days where he will not eat anything at all. If he was up to full body weight it would not matter and we wold have the attitude " he will eat when he is hungry" but with Norrie he CANNOT afford to lose any weight and every 2-3 days of not eating or eating very little sets us back.

He is a survivor, he must be. He not only survived being emaciated and malnourished all his life but he has overcome the dreadful upset stomach he had along with kennel cough at the same time.
As you can probably read between the lines we worry about him and in fact I think some days we are obsessed with his eating to the point of the usual greeting when Geoff or David come in from work is " has he eaten?"

We love him to bits, he is a real funny character, what my dad would have called a "funnyosity" , he adores people, all people even the vets. When I pick my car keys up he runs to the car thinking he is going to his favourite place--the vets!!

Speaking of vets, his weekly check up went well, he had put on about half a kilo which considering we have had an up and down week is brilliant. He is still painfully thin and his back bone still visable but the ribs are very slowly covering. Touch wood we have not had a wobbly do this week at all, whether that is because he is getting stronger or whether it is the low dose steroids who knows.

Whilst at the vets I asked about hydrotherapy which is something we have been discussing for a while, anyway opinion now is he is strong enough to go for a trial session and he is booked in next thursday. Hopefully he will take to it and and if he does regular sessions should help build some muscles on his back end and hopefully sharpen his appetite.

So we carry on, we worry on the days he is not interested in food and rejoice on the days he eats.

Looking forward we obviously are aiming on him getting well enough and strong enough to be rehomed. Realistically he needs to put a few more kilos on and be eating regularly before the vets will discharge him as fit for adoption but every few grams he gains is a step nearer the ultimate goal.

We cannot believe he has been here 8 weeks, in many ways it seems like he has been here forever and in other ways it has gone in a heartbeat. When he arrived all we knew was we had a dog coming and it needed a blood test and possibly a biopsy. It goes to show you never know what you are getting, would we change it? not a single second of it, would we go through it again? in a heartbeat.

On a lighter note I have taken to wearing shorts as it is a sure way of stopping him swinging on my trouser bottoms.

Ky and Norrie
Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
Mr Ollie
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Re: Nother naughty Norrie update

Post by Mr Ollie »

Ky you are fantastic :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :love3:
Will make a small donation to help sorry it cannot be more

Love from

Teresa and Ollie
Image Unconditional Love
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

. On a lighter note I have taken to wearing shorts as it is a sure way of stopping him swinging on my trouser bottoms.
Ky you are very brave at this time of the year.

Reminds me of the day I went shopping in Morrisons - it was snowing and by the door was a man, not a boy wearing a flowery shirt, shorts and a pair of flip flops :rofl:

Thank you for the update on Norrie. Looking forward to hearing how he gets on with the swimming.
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
eamonnmoore
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eamonnmoore »

great news :thumbup: hope he continues to improve and enjoys his swim
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Another lovely update Ky. Moreso to read of the increase of another half a kilo :lol:
I loved to hear of your Dad's use of the word 'funnyosity'. Made up words are often the best descriptions!
Well done Norrie, you are going great guns :P
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

You must have read my mind! I was thinking about putting a post on asking how our Norrie is.

Well bless him, he may be progressing slowly, but he is progressing nevertheless. As long as he's eating and gaining some weight, it's positive news.

I wondered about hydrotherapy (in fact, I think I mentioned it a few weeks ago in one of my posts). It will be interesting to see how he gets on and if it helps build up muscle, that's all to the good.

It's fantastic what you've done for Norrie so far Ky - I so hope he keeps improving the way he has so far. :love3: :love3: :love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

:1952: :1952: :1952: really pleased that those steady little gains are continuing, though can only guess at the effort (practical & emotional) that Ky must be putting in - thank you from my four :love3: :love3: :love3:
When I worked on the prem baby unit, we used to gradually add hi-cal powder to their feeds to increase the calories but not the bulk; I wondered if Norrie does or could have a doggie version (know his sensitivities might be a problem)?
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

It's great to hear that Norrie is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly, but you are working miracles along the way! :love3: :love5:
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts
mollysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollysmum »

Glad to read that Norrie continues to gain weight although it sounds like it continues to be an ongoing project.
Hope the hydrotherapy works, not only to build up his muscles but to hopefully give him a bit more of an appetite.
Look forward to the next installment.
On a lighter note, you`re a very brave woman Ky, wearing shorts this time of year, its blooming freezing where we live.
Linda
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Lovely update and hope Norrie enjoys his swimming, he is a special boy :love5: :love5:

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
Simbasmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Simbasmum »

What abrilliant update and big hugs to you all and Good Luck for the hydrotherapy on Thursday - i know it helped Simba when we first got him as he had hardly any muscles in his legs
When one door closes another door ALWAYS opens- and we may never know what the grand plan is, but believe me, the universe will give you everything you deserve if you just have faith. Karma is a beautiful thing.