A Norrie Update

Moderator: Forum Moderators

John

Re: A Norrie Update

Post by John »

It is not something they catch or a result of bad keeping but a result of bad breeding and occurs when 2 carriers are bred together, it may be non progressive but as we are very unclear as to what stage in his life it first manifested we just do not know.
I would take issue at the bald statement "a result of bad breeding" Centronuclear Myopathy, to give it it's correct name first sprang to prominence as late as 2007. An affected puppy was born in a litter produced from a Field Trials Champion by a well know working Labrador Breeder, and a DNA test was produced to test for it. The matter was brought up at the 2007 AGM of the Labrador Retriever Club, in front of the KC genetisist Dr Jeff Sampson. I remember when the members present were asked about it, only 2 had ever heard of it and only one had ever seen a case. That is how rare it is!

Obviously this was not the start of it. I've no doubt it's been lurking around since the start of Labradors, but has not been a problem until now. It is carried as a simple recessive gene and as most affected pups do not survive these would not be bred from. So for years it lurked in the background in carriers, only being seen when two carriers were mated together. Then, in 1970 a dog who, unbeknown to anyone, was a carrier, became a Field Trials Champion, and of course, being a champion he was well used at stud. Moving a bit more up to date, another FT CH, born in 1986, also well used at stud was also a carrier. It is because of these two dogs that CNM is seen as a Working Labrador problem. It is occasionally seen in show lines, but very rarely. In the same way EIC is seen mainly as a Show Labrador problem (here in the UK if any Americans read this.) Of course, in those days there was no DNA test so no one knew. The DNA test was still 20 years away. It's easy in hindsight to blame breeders but in this case they were blameless, they could not have known.

I have to ask the question, why was this not diagnosed by a vet very early on?? OK, I'll answer that question, because it's so rare that few vets have ever seen a case! So it the vets dont know about it why blame the breeder? OK, maybe the sire and dam should have been DNA tested before mating, but if you dont know something exists how are you going to test for it? People like me know because of the company we keep. It is listed as a recommended test on the Labrador Breed Council health sub-committee web site, but how many of you knew the sub committee existed, still less that they had a web site.

Sorry but this was an unfortunate happening, not bad breeding!

Regards, John
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Interesting post John thank you put in easy to understand words.( which helps if its me).

We all know a bit more about his illness now.

We know he will be loved and cared for and belongs which is nice.
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Only just caught up with this additional news. VeryInteresting John. So it is a hidden problem that nobody would necessarily know about. Dear me.. I also wonder what happened to Norrie's siblings though, because they must be out there somewhere. I just hope they are not affected.

Poor Norrie, such a bad start in life with all his other problems. I just hope that he has as long and as fun filled life as possible.

I take my hat off to the Caerwys vets - they are Buddie and Benjie's vets too. They have really gone up in my estimation because as if is so rare, they must have been doing a lot of research!!! Well done to them!!! :love3:
mollysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollysmum »

Ky, what a relief to at last find out what the cause of Norrie`s problems are. It`s something that i`ve never heard of, but reading about it is interesting. Now you know what you`re dealing with i`m sure that Norrie will keep well and happy for many years to come.
Norrie, what a very lucky boy you are to have found your forever home with Ky, Geoff and the gang. I could not think of anywhere better to be able to be yourself than at `Cae Jacob`. Hope that the updates continue.
Linda