Lake District / Wainwright Walks

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

martyn
New User
New User

Lake District / Wainwright Walks

Post by martyn »

We are stopping in Glenridding for a week in August with Bobby and are wanting to tick off 2 or 3 Wainwright Walks while we are there.
We are looking for good half / full day walks with minimal or no stiles and a lack of razor sharp ridges would be a good idea with a 2 year old lab (I don't want to end up like Liam in Corrie!)
Any ideas would be very helpful.

Martyn and Lynne
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I don't know if you have visited this site, but it is well worth a look. http://www.stridingedge.net/index.html
He takes his two Bearded Collies with him on all of his walks and he details the Wainwright Walks as well as many others. There is lots of statistical info detailed too - time taken, miles etc, and his pictures are just fantastic the views are just beautiful (some are also very funny!). It also may help you decide which walk to do.....take a look at his Blencathra photo's for example.....he has taken his dogs but they are Collies! Labs I am not so sure about :D We went to the Lakes a couple of years ago and I would love to go back. We didn't take Maggie on any long routes as she was just a year old and not ready for long walks and certainly not safe to take!

Keep us posted on your research and when you have done your walks post the details on here, I would find them very useful as we will no doubt be over that way in the next year.......we have two Labs now so I will definitely need a walk without the razor sharp ridges too!

Jackie x
martyn
New User
New User

Lake District

Post by martyn »

Thanks for that Jackie - I will have a look at that site and see if I can get some ideas. I really want to avoid having to lift a 35kg dog over a stile if I can avoid it!
I will keep you posted!

Martyn & Lynne
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Why don't you email him (his contact email is on the links page) I am sure he would be happy to recommend some walks without stiles......his two would no doubt bound over them! I know the feeling - Maggie our older Lab will go over the ladder style ones, but Bella won't, but Bella will go over any other type of style quite happily but then Maggie won't :? So we can't win either way!

Jackie
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Good idea to share info on walks it took us ages to find good walks when we moved here to eccleston non of my dogs do styles :roll: and even though we have acres of land just right out side our garden gate they all require climing over styles cant imaging lifting gollie over one :shock: and road outside front is like death race 2000 :roll:
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

The lakes are wonderful but I would give the dogs a bit of training first, so when August comes they will easily manage the walks, we love going up there when we are at the caravan the scenery is spectacular..hope you have a great time...
martyn
New User
New User

Walks

Post by martyn »

I know what you mean because we both started walking with Oldham Ramblers in January and thought that Bobby would be able to come along with us but in reality there are far too many styles on most of the walks we have been on so we have to leave him with my parents every Wednesday!

Martyn & Lynne
jakelab

Post by jakelab »

I stayed in Glenridding, one of the walks we did was to walk round the lake half way and get the steamer back- fantastic. There are loads of easy walks there, went up to the red tarn. We also went on the steamer to Pooley Bridge and had great food. You will have a lovely time there. 8)

Bonnie, Jess and Toby
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

What lovely pictures.....makes me wish I was there now, I love the Lakes.

Jackie x
martyn
New User
New User

Stridingedge.com

Post by martyn »

I think I have seen this site before on one of my 'web searches' but having had a closer look it really is a fantastic site for anyone who loves The Lakes and there are some fantastic photos and walk descriptions. I have mailed Sean and he has very kindly sent me a nice reply with a couple of suggestions fo walks from Glenridding.
Definately worth a look if you are heading to the Lakes sometime!

Martyn & Lynne
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Great Martyn & Lynne, I am pleased you liked the site. I must admit I could spend hours looking at all the photographs they are amazing! He must have a lovely life over there doing all of those walks! I am pleased he has sent you some walks over, saves you the hassle. Hope you all have a lovely time, don't forget to post some pictures on here of your travels!

Jackie
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

I watched the recent tv series with julia bradbury, she did some of the walks explaining the routes and which were the most difficult, it was a facinating insight into the world of wainwright who's ashes are scattered at the top of "Haystacks". i would love to give some of the walks a try some day.

jan xx
It is never too late.
martyn
New User
New User

Wainwright

Post by martyn »

We have watched all the Julia Bradbury shows and we now want to do ALL of the Wainwight walks (and there are a lot of them!) We really want to do Haystacks but I will have to watch the DVD again and see if it is suitable for Bobby - he is fit enough but I don't want him to fall off a ridge or anything like that!
One thing is for sure we will be doing some walks and I will post photos when we return.

Martyn & Lynne
andrea

Post by andrea »

HI Martin, most areas in the lakes produce local circular walks, which you will find in local shops. The area is owned by the national trust who are usually dog friendly, if you come across to many stiles on your adventures that arent dog friendly write to them and they will sort them. Haystacks is a fantastic walk...go for it your dog will be fine. We have been on many an adventure with Izzy, Helvelyn, old man, cat bells, helm crag,kentmere valley,robinson,langdale pikes, skiddaw,longsledale valley you name it we have done it, your dog will be fine, it is us that worries to much!! Good luck
martyn
New User
New User

We worry too much!

Post by martyn »

Thanks for that Andrea I have always had a feeling that he would be OK on most areas but other people are worried about the rocks on his paws and about him plunging from a ridge! I must admit I wouldn't be too sure about him on Hellvellyn but I was more concerned about say 'The Hole in the Wall' which from memomory is a 5' ladder with no other way over and I would hate to get so far on a walk and have to change plans because Bobby couldn't get over a wall.
We are hoping to do 3 Wainwrights that week and I am glad you mentioned Haystacks as being dog suitable as that is very much on our radar!
I will let you know how we get on and photos as well!

Hope to see you all at the Fun Day!

Martyn,Lynne & Bobby