At last.... some good news for Lovely Pip (few pics too)

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Debsalabradora1
Senior User
Senior User

At last.... some good news for Lovely Pip (few pics too)

Post by Debsalabradora1 »

Hello all,
I go on the site most days and catch up with what's happening.....Today is the day, I can post what I have wanted to do for a very long time. Some of you may be aware that me and my lovely cuddle monster Millie were lucky enough for Pip to come and live with us mid September last year. She has severe allergies to dust mites and storage mites - she is a supported by LRNW and is on an immunotherapy injection which, to date, has not made any difference to her allergy but we need to persevere for a few more months to be sure.
At long last, the vets have been able to get hold of some Apoquel - a medication that works on the immune system to help with itching. (Pip had tried Atopica a few months ago but after 2 weeks showed no improvement at all, so it was stopped). Pip has had about 6 doses of apoquel now and has shown a really encouraging response. She is hardly scratching at all now and her eyes are much less red and swollen. Her nose and muzzle are still blistered but much less red and sore. As you can imagine, I am sooooo pleased for her - the poor love had been scratching almost all the time and I was having to sit with bags of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel held against her face/eyes to take away some of the pain/redness/swelling - we had also got to the stage where she was wearing her comfy cone more often than not because she was rubbing her eyes, scratching her face and neck and causing a lot of damage to herself. She is so much more relaxed now and is sleeping well at night (pacing around and scratching before). I really hope that this treatment will do the trick and her skin will start to heal. She will continue on the immunotherapy injection and will probably need a new supply in a couple of months. I'm sure you will agree that this is the best news for her and I hope it continues and she can get some real quality of life. I'll take her back to vets on 22/4 where she will reviewed again and the dose will hopefully be reduced, so less expensive.
Pip is very settled now with us and is a sweet, happy, cheeky girl despite her allergies. Her general condition seems much improved and she has responded to just good old care and love (and lots of supplements, good food and plenty of sardines!!)
Here's a few pics...
Not a bad view....

Drying off in the sun after a paddle - You can see that she is getting a good coat on her back where she can't reach to scratch or chew!

Having a snooze - not long after I got her so face much better as just finished steroids.

A pic that shows her poorly face - she has a cute trick of sticking her head through the cat flap when she has finished her food and wants to come in - she also sticks her head out of the cat flap to check the weather before a walk (non too keen on rain!!)
And finally, my lovely cuddle monster Millie who loves having a little sister
Debs, Millie and Poppy (and Pippi).xx

My dogs, in my heart and mind forever....
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Re: At last.... some good news for Lovely Pip (few pics too)

Post by Joe + Hilary »

I'm so pleased to read Pip's new medicine may be having a good effect. Fingers crossed. It would be lovely to see her face get better. She seems a super personality, I like the "cat flap habits". Nice photos. Well done with your care of her and good luck.

Hilary, Tuppence & Rowley
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

:1951: Oh Debs this is good to read, I'm so pleased for you and lovely Pip! Sending buckets of positive thoughts and best wishes from us for continued improvement,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

So pleased the new medication seems to be working for your beautiful girl. Keeping everything crossed that Pip continues to improve.

Lovely pics of two beautiful girls :love2:

Amanda Jim Milo Zak & Max x
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Lovely update and thank you for all you do for Pip xx
Maggie May
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Maggie May »

I am so pleased to hear that the new medication is helping Pip, you must be so happy.

The pictures are lovely. :love2: for Pip and :bighug: to both Pip and Millie.

Love Kay and Maggie xx
Kay
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

This is so lovely to read. Your pictures are beautiful.

:bighug: :bighug: for Pip and Millie
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

The photos are lovely, I'm so pleased that Pip's medication seems to be working and everything crossed that it continues to get better. Pip is a gorgeous, courageous girl who deserves to be free of her scratching so lots of positive and healing thoughts coming to her from me.

:love3: :love3: for you it can't be easy seeing her all itchy but she's very happy and you obviously love her to bits.

Joan x
Joan and George x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

What a fabulous update on Pip. She looks a different dog and also looks so happy.

The medication - Apoquel - is manufactured by a German company. They were available for a short period last year but, proved so effective, all vets went mad on prescribing them as they worked so well. The upshot of this was it caused a shortage and the manufacturers had to hold back until they could manufacture more to enable them to meet the demand.

Lets hope there are enough to go around and that Pip keeps doing well on them.

You have done a wonderful, and no doubt hard and uppsetting job at times on this lovely girl, who so deserves it. Thank you so much. :love3:

Onwards and upwards now Pip :bighug:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Pip is looking wonderful I'm so glad the medication is working for her, you have done an amazing job with her :love3: :love3:

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
scubakim
Senior User
Senior User

Post by scubakim »

This is just the best news! You have worked wonders with Pip and despite her condition, she is clearly a very happy girl. That cat flap photo shows her cheeky side and is superb :1972: I too hope that she continues to improve with her new medication and the manufacturers can keep up with demand - it sounds like the new wonder drug for allergies.

Thank you for taking such wonderful care of Pip and thank you Millie for being a brilliant big sis :bighug:
Kim, Murphy & Amy x

Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Morticia1162 »

Just lovely, let's hope this poor girl finally finds some relief, the photos are lovely she certainly looks a happy girl despite being mithered too death! You've done a grand job with her. :love3:

Hoping Pip continues with her improvement .

Lots of love Janet Pat Barney and Lola. Xxxx
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Great update on Pip she is looking so much better you have done a fantastic job. I so hope her new medication continues to work for her and she has some relief from her horrible symptoms.

Thanks for taking such good care of her :love3: :love3: :love3:

Jackie x
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

What you are doing for Pip is amazing, she is looking so much better. What a sweetheart Milly is too x
Emma
smitty
Senior User
Senior User

Post by smitty »

Lovely post xx :2379: