Pip

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Pip

Post by Glenys »

Another update from Debbie I will try and get an updated photo soon when I sort photo bucket out :

Special thanks to Gourley Vets Ashton under Lyne very kind to us re charges

Hi Glenys,

Vet just charged for medication again. We had a chat about her progress - she is making some, the itching is so much less since she has been on the Apoquel. She has regrowth on her legs, neck etc where she had scratched and bitten hair out. The problem we still have is the boils and lumps which are on her muzzle and around her eyes (some hair regrowth there too though). They are really big and look so sore and have not responded to 4 weeks of antibiotics. No more antibiotics - is to carry on with the Apoquel and the vet will contact the manufacturer to see what's what with regard to these lumps - an apparent side effect (papilloma) that is not dose-dependent.
The plan is to start to reduce the Apoquel now as she is on the maximum dose - she is on 3 tablets a day and the plan is to get her down to 2 and try to establish a maintenance dose. So that would make things a little bit cheaper.

It seems like there may not be many avenues left to pursue should she have to come off the Apoquel (but fingers crossed she will stay on and will just be a bit spotty! - although I think they are getting worse Emoji). She is on the immunotherapy and not responded as yet (the vet will review this in the next couple of months when her current vaccine will run out), we have tried Atopica and she didn't respond, nor did giving a doggie dose of piriton have any noticeable effect.

When she came to me she was probably the best she was in terms of appearance (although her overall coat and condition has continued to improve) but that was she had been on treatment from Karen, the fosters vets, - steroids and antibiotics. Although the steroid (prednisilone) works wonders, it is not supposed to be given to dogs long term.......
The vet is going to see her again in 3 weeks and we'll see what's what...

Hope all is good with you and yours, Glenys and thanks a lot for the newsletter - I will spread the word.
Very best wishes,
Debbie, Millie and a spotty but still completely delightful PIP.xxx

Debsalabradora1
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Pip

Post by Debsalabradora1 »

Hello everyone and thanks to Glenys for putting on the update. I will add some up to date pics now (if I can get photobucket to work....) By the way, I have no idea what the strange word is that appeared in the email I sent to Glenys (perhaps Pip knows what "Emoji" is!!! maybe it's a canine word for pesky horrid dust mites!!).

My little princess continues to be troubled by her horrid allergies and we seem to be taking one step forward and three steps back. She remains remarkably cheerful throughout and is an absolute little sweetie. She will be back at the vets in around 3 weeks for another review - the lumps on her face (worse than in her photo taken about a month ago) are what is causing the concern now - seemingly a side effect to the apoquel - such a shame as she is so much less itchy, so not damaging herself as much and is growing back lots of hair....

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for the support that this rescue provides both financially and emotionally. I am totally committed to Pip and like to think she has a good life with me and my lovely Millie, my only wish is that she could be free of what must be a torment at times. We will deal with whatever comes our way and make the best of whatever happens.

Here are a few pics taken in the last few weeks....

Relaxing in the sun with my big sister...

Another lovely walk...

My poorly face...

Last edited by Debsalabradora1 on 13 Jun 2015, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Debs, Millie and Poppy (and Pippi).xx

My dogs, in my heart and mind forever....
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Oh bless her, her face does look sore, allergies are just so frustrating for dog and owner I am sorry to hear that things have not been so good for her. Sadly sometimes the more intervention there is the worse things become, medics only ever treat the symptoms they never treat the cause.

What sort of bedding does Pip have? Have you tried vet bed Gold as this is supposed to help dogs with dust mite allergies - just a thought.

I so hope Pip is feeling better soon, thanks for the update and the lovely photos you have two beautiful girls there :love2:

Jackie x
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Ah, poor Pip. Sorry to hear and see her skin is not under control yet.

Our old lad Sam had a chronic skin condition and we used to give evening primrose tablets to help him, which seemed to work.

Good luck with the ongoing battle.

Alison x
lucy73
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lucy73 »

Love the pic of Pip enjoying the sunshine with her big sis :love2: . We tried various things for Tash over the last year or so as she kept chewing at her feet. We were told about coconut oil ( has to be cold pressed extra virgin ) so thought we'd try it. After a couple of weeks she left them alone and never bothers them.

She also licks her bottom a lot and the vets are at a loss as to why as she is wormed regularly etc. We have been looking into raw feeding , but haven't gone down this route yet. It appears that most dog food has grain and cereals etc that can cause problems. I can't vouch for raw feeding personally, but have read about some amazing transformations in dogs that had various problems.

:bighug: for Pip
Lucy, Lesley & Tasha xx
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Ah, poor Pip she such a sweetie so hope one day you will find something to get her skin condition under control.

Lovely pictures of two gorgeous girl's :love2: :love2:

Amanda Jim Milo Zak & Max x
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Oh bless her sweet face :love2: It must be so infuriating for you when all you want is for your beautiful girl to be well. Well done with all your efforts and of course, TLC is the greatest medicine of them all and both girls clearly have no shortage of that.

For you :love3:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Pip will always have our support she is such a happy girl I hope we can crack the problem thank you Debbie :1972:
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Lovely pictures of the dogs. Poor Pip, I feel so much for her with her sore face. You are doing a great job looking after her so well, I hope something works properly at some stage. Even with her poorly face she is a pretty girl.

Hilary, Tuppence & Rowley
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Pip what a treasure you are the photos are lovely,we really do hope you improve. With our love to you
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly n Polly xx :bighug:
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

Oh Debs, her face may be poorly but it is still so lovely. The care you are taking of this adorable girl is fantastic. I just hope so much for you and her that a miracle cure will be around the corner, to give her an even better time than she is already blessed with with you x
Emma
Maggie May
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Maggie May »

Oh Pip is so beautiful and loving. I hope she will get some relief soon bless her. :love2:

Thank you for all the love and care you give her :love3:

Love Kay xx
Kay
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Beautiful pictures thankyou for sharing.

Fingers crossed here, your vet can find something more to help beautiful Pip.

You do a fantastic job and Pip looks so happy with her big sister

:bighug: :bighug: and :love4: :love4: for your gorgeous girls and :love3: for you
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three