Pip - sorry no pics - I'm a bit spotty!!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Debsalabradora1
Senior User
Senior User

Pip - sorry no pics - I'm a bit spotty!!

Post by Debsalabradora1 »

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to put a quick update on about lovely Miss Pip - such a sweet little girl who is still struggling with her allergies. (dust mites and storage mites).
Pip has been on apoquel for around 3 months now and has done really well in that it has been the only thing we've tried that has helped to control her itching and scratching to some degree, so she has lots and lots of hair growth. Unfortunately, starting the apoquel seems to have coincided with nasty lumps and boils developing on her face/muzzle. She was back at the vets last week and had biopsies taken and we are waiting for the results. It may mean that she has to come off the medication. We will wait and see what happens.
Thanks to everyone who has offered helpful suggestions - I am open to trying anything that will make life better for her.
I do the obvious things like keeping the environment as dust free as possible - special bedding too. We have tried various medical treatments (Atopica, piriton etc) and Pip continues on her immunotherapy injection - she has been on this around 6 months now but I did meet someone a while ago who said their dog was on it 12months before responding.
Pip (and Millie) has supplements -Evening Primrose Oil and Omega 3 along with lots of oily fish. She is on a good complete food which I rinse with boiling water before she has it but I am going to switch her to a wet diet/raw feeding - currently looking into this and have been suggested several - including Forthglade, Barf pet foods to name just a couple ANY RECOMMENDATIONS GREATLY RECEIVED!
I have just started her on Coconut Oil (virgin cold pressed) - giving this with her food and using it topically - fingers crossed this helps. I tried silver serum but this didn't seem to do much. Pip has a comfy cone and will wear this without any trouble as we made a game out of it (Yep, food is involved!!) so this helps to protect her face a little (she will rub and scratch and can make her eyes in particular very sore). She has this on at night time and I use it during the day only when I need to. I was bathing her once a week (tried all the usual shampoos) but recently, at the vets suggestion, have started showering her daily with luke warm water (I think this helps a bit). Again, we have made a game out of this so she bounds upstairs and jumps in to the bath knowing she will get treats!! She makes my heart melt - she is so patient and trusting - I'm certain if she was a person she would be very grumpy indeed!
I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of animals having complimentary therapies - I am from a medical background but have always been interested in and believed in the value of different approaches. I have benefited from homeopathic treatments and reiki and I'm currently looking into this for Pip - any feedback welcomed, thanks.
Pip is a fabulous dog and it is so wonderful that this organisation exists so she can have the chance that she deserves.
Thank you to you all and especially to Glenys and all involved with MKF. :1972:

I will post pics when Pip's face is better.xx
Debs, Millie and Poppy (and Pippi).xx

My dogs, in my heart and mind forever....
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Re: Pip - sorry no pics - I'm a bit spotty!!

Post by Glenys »

Thank you for the update keeping all crossed
We can make some headway for her she is a little star
Ive heard some excellent result from prople who use alernative therapies always worth a try.
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

:bighug: for the gorgeous Pip and Millie

Hope you find something that works for Pip soon.x
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Rubyshoos

Post by Rubyshoos »

When I adopted Lady she had been fostered for a while as she was originally badly infected in her ears & uterus.Her coat was awful, you could see her skin in lots of places, she didn't have an undercoat, she had black sore spots, she would bite herself terribly especially her paws & tail. Her ears were really sensitive & continually flared up with infection & she would shake her head a lot. She limped as her paws were so tender, she was uncomfortable, itchy, sore and troubled.
After a lot of research, trial & error I put her on a barf diet, stopped any treats etc that contained grains/sugar/gluten etc.I gave her tumeric, fish oils , green lipped muscle & cod liver oil. I bathed her with a shampoo from the vets. Now after over 3 years she has a full on rougher than rough double coat, her paw no longer needs steroid treatment, her ears don't need constant cleaning/antibiotics/intervention and she is comfortable in her own skin!
Recently we suffered a lot of stress in our home & lady started biting herself again with anxiety- I used organic aloe vera & organic apple cider vinegar both in her food & topically. Her hot spots lessened & I then started her on Loratadine which she is still on.
I have bought some organic cold pressed coconut oil but I haven't started her on it yet-it is meant to be good as an antibacterial.
I think as with all remedies it is trial and error, mix & match to find which works for each individual dog.
Some of the remedies cross over to treat her arthritis, I researched systemic yeast infection I think originally and worked from there.
I hope that this may help you and good luck with both of your lovely doggies!!
Sam, Lady and Duke xxx
:2362:
Lucy
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lucy »

Just wondering when you had the allergy tests did you do food allergies as well ?

The reason why I ask is that is maybe worth when you go over to raw start by one type of food at a time eg raw chicken wings then see he it goes over a couple of weeks to see if the symptoms improve or get worse.

Also look at stopping and supplements whilst you do it as well so that your are starting from scratch if that makes sense.it will really help to see if there's are any food triggers.
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

As usual you are doing wonders for beautiful Pip. I really feel for her (and you) when it seems to be one step forward, two steps back on so many occasions. I so hope that you find that breakthrough that can give your dear girl some respite, particularly from the itching. Are products for humans such as Oilatum absolute no-no's for dogs? Anyone?
Diluted tea-tree oil can also provide relief from painful itching - but not on broken skin. I used a couple of drops mixed in luke-warm water to wipe round the inside of Toby's ear-flaps (for want of a better expression!) and it certainly calmed any itchy flare-ups.
All I can say is thank goodness Pip came to you as you provide such loving care :love3:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Debsalabradora1
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Debsalabradora1 »

Hi everyone,
Pip was back at the vet on Saturday for the results of her biopsies - good news in that they are nothing sinister - it's likely that they are as a result of the effect of her medication on her immune system. More good news is that they are likely to resolve and do seem to be lessening and she doesn't seem to have any new ones - so paws crossed she gets better and she can soon flaunt lots of gorgeous pics of herself :love2:

Thanks for the comments - Pip has been thoroughly tested and does not have food allergies - just what seems like a very severe dust and storage mite allergy.
I think all of this takes it toll over time and I guess it will take time for her to stabilise and hopefully recover.
She is to continue on the apoquel for the time being (it has without doubt helped her itching/biting and she is now getting a quite lovely coat!!) - let's just hope her lumps and bumps continue to improve/subside. She has some new cream for her face and drops for her eyes and is back at the vet again in 2 weeks for review.
Thank you again for all the support.
:love6:
Debs, Millie and Poppy (and Pippi).xx

My dogs, in my heart and mind forever....
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Thank you for the lovely update xx
Maggie May
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Maggie May »

:bighug: for the lovely Pip and thank you for the update, I hope she continues to do well.

Love Kay xx
Kay