Ellie supported dog

Moderator: Forum Moderators

janie1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Ellie supported dog

Post by janie1 »

Poor Ellie. Ear problems again. She has another infection and has low level pain and is now on painkillers to help her get through the daily ear cleaning. The vet has suggested I think about the operation to close her ear canal which will then make her deaf. So feeling a little sad for her. I really hoped it would never come to this but accept if it means she is pain free it has to be done. She hides the pain so well and it was only when the vet massaged her ears and she yelped that I realised she is suffering.
She is such a happy girl especially when she has a ball and gives me so much joy and hopefully I give her joy as well.
Jane and Ellie x
Remembering Dylan 9/6/2003-6/11/2014 xxx very special boy. My beautiful black Prince.
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Ellie supported dog

Post by 12_paws »

Oh dear Jane, it's a dilemma isn't it?
I guess you could try the conventional treatment that has worked before with some good analgesia and see how Ellie responds first before looking at surgery? Depends how often the infection reoccurs and how quickly treatment relieves the pain balanced against whether an op would solve the problem for good. You know your girl best, trust your gut feeling and you'll not go far wrong.
Thinking of you :love3: and Ellie of course. Lots of positive healing thoughts winging their way from me and mine to Ellie,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
janie1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by janie1 »

Thanks Des. I need to be able to get the canker out of her very narrow ear canals and to do this properly means hurting her when I massage her ears. I have 5 days of painkillers to make it less painful and the next step may have to be a washout. But the vet feels the operation to close her ear canal is inevitable in the end so she becomes pain free.
She is remarkable because even though we are hurting her (unintentionally) she sits there and takes it. Such a brave girl.
I will be beside her all the way. She mended my broken heart after losing Dylan.
Jane and Ellie x
Remembering Dylan 9/6/2003-6/11/2014 xxx very special boy. My beautiful black Prince.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hello Jane & Ellie
We are so sorry to see that Ellie has more ear problems please give her a :bighug: from us, it is such a worry when our belovered girls have a problem.
Thinking of you both and you will know what is best for Ellie.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly n Polly xx
Maggie May
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Maggie May »

I am so sorry to hear about Ellie and her ears, bless her. She sounds a remarkable girl :love2:

I am sorry she is going through this and hope the painkillers help her.

:bighug: for Ellie.

Love Kay and Maggie xx
Kay
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Sorry to hear this poor Ellie
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

Poor Ellie, and poor you, it's obvious how much you dote on her and it must upset you knowing she is in pain. Please give her a big hug from me x
Emma