Jakes a poorly boy.

Follow the progress of old Jake - recovering under the tender and experienced care of Martin - his foster dad

Moderator: Forum Moderators

benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Jakes a poorly boy.

Post by benjiesmum »

Oh dear, Martin. So very sorry to hear that Jake is poorly. Please let us know how things go. I am thinking of him. He could be nowhere better than with your good self.

:7698:
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

I am so sad to hear Jake is poorly. Sending lots of loving hugs to you all.

Gill, Meg and Maisie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:tree
Lucy
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lucy »

Keeping fingers crossed it is just the stress the poor lad has been under.

Lucy
xx
CarolynM
Webbyswife
Webbyswife

Post by CarolynM »

Poor Jake - fingers crossed that everything is ok.

I know he will have the best possible care with you and Kathryn
Carolyn
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Martin, so sorry to hear that Jake is poorly. Got fingers and paws crossed for him here.

Love Alisonx
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Martin, Keeping everything crossed for this poor boy.
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Everything is crossed here too, hope Jake's illness is just stress from all that he's been through recently. If anyone can make a difference to him it's you Martin and Kathryn. Best of luck to you all.

Joan x
Joan and George x
billybluemoor

Post by billybluemoor »

UPDATE on JAKE.

Jake hasn't been getting on very well with Lady and I seriously considered returning him to Glenys this morning , but I thought I would wait and seek our Vet's opinion when we went at 11-30am today.
Glenys has been, and continues to be, brilliant in her moral support and we discussed things at length on the phone.
Both the Vet, myself, and Glenys, think that because Jake is starving and can't keep food down he is edgy around the other dogs in case they get fed and he doesn't. As a matter of course I always feed the dogs seperately anyway, but in this case it runs a bit deeper than that. He is ok around other dogs but I doubt if he's ever lived with them. It reminds me very much of when Rosie first came.... although Rosie could keep food down and Jake can't.
And, it's only 3 days since Jake 'invaded' Billy & Lady's territory so I think to be fair, it's still very early days for them all to settle.
Although I know there will always be a place for Jake at MKF, I'm hoping that my persevererence will eventually pay off.

The Good News is that the Vet doesn't think that there is anything 'seriously' wrong with Jake !!! He's certainly not a 'worn-out' old dog, he's a lively friendly boy.
He has given him 2 injections, one of which was to stop the sickness, and some tablets to be taken at night along with a special food.
Despite Jakes weight loss ( a kilo since Friday ) I still believe there is cause for optimism.
Since lunchtime he has had 2 small feeds and kept it down ok.
Mr Locke, our Vet, has asked me to phone him on Wednesday with a progress report and is a lovely man who I can't thank enough. I gave him one of our Rescue Calenders as a Thank-You Xmas present, as I do each year, and he says he still has the one from last year on his study wall at home and uses it all the time.

So, it's very much 'a day at a time' at present.

It's good to know your all rooting for Jake !

Thank you everyone for all your encouraging remarks, it does help when things aren't going so well !
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

It is early days Martin and you know if ever you need to talk we are always here, it is a wave reaction dogs can pick up on us being anxious and they feel it too, in time I think he will settle he has been through the mill we have some prescription food at MKF so if you need any more just ask...
billybluemoor

Post by billybluemoor »

Many thanks Kathryn !!

:salute:
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Oh I am so glad to hear this news. I've been pacing up and down all day wondering how you were getting on at the vet's! :4620:

It can be difficult trying to introduce new dogs to each other - I've always been amazed how well all yours seem to accept each other - especially Billy - he never seems to be phased at all. We have had our odd ups and downs here with Buds, Benj and Tomos the cat all trying to be top of the pack!!!

Poor Lady obviously is feeling a little jealous, which I suppose is natural. May be she will become more accepting once she realises that he is not a threat to her.

I am glad that he is with you Martin. It sounds like he needs some stability in his little life and the reassurance that he is going to get his tummy filled. Poor boy. I do hope he settles with you. I think he will learn trust slowly. :icon_flower

You and Kathryn are saints! :4624
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I am relieved by this news, I know we haven't quite turned the corner but is good to know the vet is happy with Jake. I hope Lady accepts Jake, the women are always the grumpy ones :santa12 I am sure once the 'pack' has adjusted to their newcomer things will settle, I hope so anyway as without doubt you are the one for this lad.

Hope things improve this week for you all.

Jackie x
carolb
Homing Coordinator
Homing Coordinator

Post by carolb »

Really glad to hear that you are persevering with Jake. I hope he settles down soon for you and your hard work pays off. Good news that he has managed to keep some food down today. Best wishes to you all. :4623
Rehoming co ordinator. Tel 07399559202.
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

Glad Mr Locke thinks there's nothing "Seriously wrong" with Jake. It's very early days yet, and I know you and Kathryn are doing all you can for him. We've had Charlie now for almost 5 months- and altho Rosie (aged 11) is not "in love" with him( she wont curl up and snuggle with him)She does like him and they eat side by side without any trouble. The only "disagreements" they have is over toys, She is the boss and he lets her be! :santa12
I really hope that Lady and Jake (& of course lovely Billy) all settle down soon.
Sending hugs for all of them

Alison, Rosie & Charlie (Lancs) XXX
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

I'm so glad to hear that there is nothing seriously wrong with Jake and I do hope that the unease between Lady and Jake resolves itself soon.
Jackie