History of Rescue Max's Story

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

History of Rescue Max's Story

Post by Glenys »

I thought I would do a little all our yesterdays as last night I was reflecting on the many years of rescue it occurred to me that it may be interesting to some and also I may not get round to writing the very promised book.

In the years before internet,mobile phones etc.. here goes.

We used to use boarding kennels to house the dogs often we would be asked to take death row dogs I’m sorry if that sounds dramatic but bear with me there will be sunshine.

One particular dog story is Max.
It was winter it was heavy snow Craig used to help me with transporting dogs there was a heck of a lot of dogs needed transport anyway we had a call from a kennels in Wales a black Labrador due to be put to sleep that day his time was up and he wasn’t claimed. Sam said if you travel to Wales in the weather you are mad but we did anyway off we went on the journey.
When we got to the kennels I asked Craig to go in I could never and still cannot bear to see a sea of faces needing help which isn’t possible we had to pay to get the dogs out I think it was £50 that was around 18 years ago.
Craig brought Max out he said Mum cant we take any others but I only had the correct money and available kennel for one it was heartbreaking.
We set off home via the Vet for a booster.

On my list waiting for a dog was John he was in a wheelchair had an adapted bungalow he had played professional rugby had a bad tackle and was left severely disabled John was fantastic never let life get him down he asked about Max.

I said John we know nothing about him, he said can you bring him to see me so I said yes.

We arrived at Johns gorgeous bungalow with Max and John fell for him and obviously John had a lot of support in the home .

The next day I had a call Max had hopped over the wall and run away but had been found and John said we need him neutering so we booked him in and I said Ill collect him take him to the vets and bring him back in a few days John said no I cant bear him to be away for a single night please bring him back today which I did.

Within a few days Max was fetching the letters off the mat and picking things up for his Master everyone loved him and he never ran away again he seemed to instinctively know that his job was to care for his Master and be his friend and in return he got love..
So from death row to one Mans very best friend all came about by a journey to Wales.

Max lived a long and happy Life with John and died peacefully of old age.

I want to say I’ve not put this story on for Kudos or praise just a little history of rescue and I will add more stories as I go along and share all our ( Rescue ) yesterdays with you.
Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: History of Rescue Max's Story

Post by Lins »

What a lovely story. I am genuinely looking forward to the next with anticipation.

Thank you so much Glenys for taking time out of your very busy schedule to delight us with the history and stories of rescued dogs. :love3:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Ditto Lins remarks. Hearing individual tales brings it all to life and reminds us all of the amount of effort and dedication that is required for each, individual dog :love2:
Every case is unique and special in its own way. What a wonderful account of Max, especially knowing his fate otherwise.. and what a wonderful life he went on to enjoy. In addition, to bringing so much joy and support to another is totally heartwarming.
Thank you Glenys, please keep them coming..
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Think you should write a book Glenys - I'd buy it!!!

Lovely to hear how it all started and the successes along the way
x
Lindsay2011
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lindsay2011 »

What a heartwarming story. Labs are amazing aren't they?

Another vote here for that book Glenys!! :study:

Lindsay x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Thank you for sharing that story Glenys, it's lovely that they bonded and things worked out so well for both Master and Max
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Thank you for sharing Glenys - Max was certainly a wonderful boy

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
SusanKerr
Senior User
Senior User

Post by SusanKerr »

I think as there is definitely a book there... I would love to read more of your rescue stories throughout the years. :1951:
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Thanks Glenys that was a lovely recall of a dogs rescue and wonderful forever home. :love2:

Now how about Ian makes a special Topic for Glenys to write down all the stories that she can recall. Like this one. It could be the start of her book without the pressure. :study:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Thanks for sharing that special story Glenys :love2:

I would love to read more stories of your rescue days :study:

Amanda Jim Milo Zak & Max x
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.