Megan

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

phoenixbbs

Re: Megan

Post by phoenixbbs »

It's been a while, but I thought it was worth another update, given that it's her next "gotcha" day tomorrow...

We got a phone call out of the blue in April two years ago from someone we knew via a mutual acquaintance - his ex wife was having to put their labrador in a dogs home because she was no longer able to look after it due to ill health. She was about 9 years old (she was a double rescue, she'd taken her off someone who was mistreating her). We'd already said yes, but then they started to list medical conditions including epilepsy...

We tried her for a few hours initially, and there were no fights, so the adoption was on !

We went to pick her up, the owner was in buckets of tears, and something slightly baffling happened - the dog, Poppy, didn't look back *once* or try to check her owner was ok !

She had big bulging eyes, bad skin / doggy dandruff, and was overweight - massively so. She hadn't been getting taken on any walks, and was so big she couldn't get upstairs.

Within a few short weeks before we got her to the vet we'd already shaved about 6kg from her.

Before long, her eyes stopped bulging, her skin cleared up, and the stand-off between Megan and Poppy eased up.

Megan has always been, and remains aloof - she likes her own space, and once she knows we're settled in bed she'll crawl out from under the bed (she won't get on at the same time as Poppy) and go downstairs to sleep on the couch, or on the bed in the spare room.
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Just a few more pictures so you can see how they're getting on...

phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

What lovely girls, all of the photos are great of both Megan and Poppy!
They look like they're rubbing along very nicely together and Poppy obviously figures she's fallen on her feet!
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Repost from general doggy chat

We got the call from the vet today :-(

It is cancer, the invasive kind that's prone to spread, on her hard palette. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, but I think they're just going to offer painkillers and anti-inflammatories.

I think Meg's already decided what she wants though, she's been almost Zen-like in her demeanor, but she's only eaten a tiny chunk of corned beef all day. We saw this with our previous dog, content with their life and love they've been shown, happy to lie in the grass for hours just watching the world go on around them, knowing their race has been run, and the finish line is in sight :-(

We did manage to get some doggy Christmas stockings delivered earlier for her, but although she wagged her thanks, chewing was just too difficult.

I hope we lived up to your expectations love, I've just started leaking now :-(