Neddy and Gollie

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Neddy and Gollie

Post by Glenys »

It six years ago since our lovely Neddy went to the bridge.

I got Ned because My friend Leigh kept sending me pictures of her puppy she was buying a German wirehaired haired pointer on the litter pics she kept saying this one is Glenys's dog I said I am a labrador person I know nothing about pointers over the weeks the videos kept coming I dont know why but I ended up putting a deposit on him worse still he was in Norfolk I hadnt told Sam anyway one day I said to Sam how far is Norfolk ? he said a B***dy long way why? I said well we have to go to pick up a puppy anyway we set off and we met him he was so sullen wanted to play with his litter mates sulked all the way home and cried five hours he turned out to be so special he was so good Leigh said train him from the word go to a whistle which I did we would go to the Country park every day
and he could cover the ground 100 miles an hour but on the whistle he was back by my side he went to shows he won and qualified for Crufts.
When we move here he loved it

One day we had spotted what we thought was a hernia we took him to the Vets and he was booked in for surgery the next day when we picked him up the Vet said he is fine the lump has been sent off for testing we will ring and let you know.
After a week we didnt worry they hadnt rung anyway I rang them.
I was told matter of factly it was a carcinoma so I said ok how do we get him better? I was told he wont get better.
At this time he was still my 100 mile an hour dog I said how long does he have they said weeks not months.
A week later another Vet said he could have chemo so I took him to the vets she got all the stuff out I said will this cure him? she said no.
I said then we are going home.
I took my boy home and he had a lovely time then he slowed down and then we knew so we took him away to our caravan just me and Sam and Neddy it was a bitter sweet time and we knew that on monday he would be gone ten weeks from diagnosis
We took him monday because the lump had come back and we said if under GA for Xray it was back let him sleep.
Sam and I sat in the car both shedding silent tears and the Vet came out it had come back so we said dont wake him up so we said goodbye to a very special dog one who we wont ever forget.
In our garden is a plaque it says Neds Garden and at our caravan it says his dates birth and then when he left.

Fast forward a many many weeks later I was at the local boarding kennels I was fastening my shoe and looked up I saw a dog a hairy dog I said what kind of dogs is that ? she said a Giant Shnauzer I said is he kind as even though he was black he looked like Ned when I came home I said to Sam look at this and it was a litter of Giants I said I think we need one .
We went to see them there was only one left available so we asked for him and put a deposit down we couldnt choose him then and we counted the days then we were able to see him and he had a bit of grey on his beard Ned had the same grey in same place it wasnt really what you would choose for a show dog but we chose him.
Two more weeks then we could collect him it was again bittersweet but Gollie has been our lovely boy and in many ways is so like Ned and the weird thing he was born on the day Ned Died.
So two lovely dogs so special in their own ways .
Last week we had to have Gollie clipped all over as he has been a little poorly and everyone in the family said God he looks like Ned and when I checked it is the anniversary of when Ned became poorly so strange isnt it life ?
More so the love of dogs so time we share short or long they touch our lives like no one can explain

Have fun in the heavens dear Ned 100 mile an hour dog always four years old .

Neddy

Gollie

Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Neddy and Gollie

Post by Willow »

How lovely to read of how you came to share your lives with two such special boys :love2: :love2:
Two gorgeous breeds, two beautiful dogs :2379: :2379:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

oh Glenys, this has made me cry, i remember how devastating it was when you lost Ned and how he was The "one" for you and finding gollie the tiny black bundle. , i'm sure fate takes a hand in these things just as fate played a part in me finding Paddy who was the "one" for me, Ned sent Gollie to ease the heartbreak , they live on in our hearts and our lives are richer for having known them.

((big hugs))

jan xx
It is never too late.
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Thanks for sharing your story and special memories, it brought a tear to my eye too. Thinking of you x
Des
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Blimey that was from the heart. Thanks for sharing but I have to say, tissues a bit damp. :cry3:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

I know it is sad to lose a dog at any age but we do feel robbed at losing Ned at such a young age I dont think we will ever really get over the loss and of Minnie also four one of our labs.

Wouldnt it be a wonderful world if people loved us like dogs do? true devotion
Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
maxie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by maxie »

Two such very special boys, Glenys. Ned's story made me cry, sad but lovely too - you and Sam gave him a wonderful home and so much love. Isn't life strange, the similarities between Ned and Gollie who I know is so precious to you.

Joan xx
Maggies Dad
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Maggies Dad »

What a lovely post Glenys. So sad about Ned, but he was obviously Loved completely.
All our special good wishes and thoughts for the gorgeous Gollie, especially from Bryn.
:2373:
Brian. ( Max and Jess's Dad )
Maggie, Woof and Bryn, Together Forever
Dogs are not our whole life,
but they make our lives whole.