Marley 2 months on

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Marley

Marley 2 months on

Post by Marley »

Just a brief update on Marley.
We really enjoyed our break to Pembrokeshire and Marley loved the cliff top walks and most of all playing on the beach.
He wasn't very good at recall (but to be fair to him we hadn't taught him how).
We joined our local dog training club but often left frustrated as Marley did not want to sit nicely and listen to the lady whilst there were dogs to be played with.!! :2378:

To cut a long story short, Marley was castrated a few weeks ago (we thought it was good to do it while it was hot and sunny as he wouldn't want to run about too much anyway). We had been waiting for him to cock his leg... but no... he still wees like a girly!

He's recovered without any problems (after a few sickly days which we put down to the metacam). We were told it may take months before it would calm him down.
We have now ditched the halti as Marley really hated it and often refused to walk :blue: Result: No one was happy.

Thanks to our vet we have now found a "personal trainer" for Marley. We do one-to-one training with her. One hour of fun!!..... and even after only 2 sessions he is walking much better (by using distraction with toy or squeaky ball rather than telling him no for wanting to say hello to every-one). he's having fun and we're happy because he doesn't jump up at people (result... we're all happy :2379: )
I think I might get known locally as the mad woman with the squeaky toys and balls... but on the plus side that is so much better than the one with the out-of-control dog!!

It's sooo lovely to be able to walk anywhere without hoping you wouldn't meet any-one. We now love meeting people and even our neighbours commented today that he seems much calmer

:bighug: to Lisa our lovely dog trainer. You're giving us the Marley we always knew he could be (he only needed for us to be shown how to teach him)
:2389:
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Marley 2 months on

Post by mollie »

What a great update :thumbup:

Marley sounds like a typical lab!!

Our Tilly is exactly the same - listens to everything, unless there's a dog to be played with :1968: We also did some training, and she can walk brilliantly on the lead now. It's amazing what a good dog trainer can teach us humans!

Looking forward to more updates.
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
jcourbet
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by jcourbet »

Hi

Is Marley "marley choc", a big chocolate lab, when we went to see Hollie I think he was in the kennels?? We have now had her 3 months now

You have given me some valuable advise here. I would love to take Hollie to training classes but like Marley I am positive she would just want to play with the other dogs, she is just so sociable!

We did pick a tip up a few weeks ago from another owner who had two balls when he was playing with his dog and we have found this works for us. Your trainer sounds amazing and I would never though of looking for one on one training, some fantastic tips we will now invest in squeaky balls :2019:

Thanks

Jen x
Marley

Post by Marley »

Hi Jen

Yeah Marley is the big chocolate Lab you may have seen in the kennels.
He is a fantastic dog but at times our walks have been frustrating (not always his fault... some owners seem to just ignore their dog having a go.... especially if it's a small one!!)
It's amazing how easily the distraction works (we never thought of using his toys for this ourselves) This morning we even managed to snap him out of staring and wanting to run to another dog across the road by squeaky ball followed by his new favourite toy (Mallard) as a treat. Result: well impressed neighbours

Enjoy your lovely Hollie

Hope the squeaky toys trick helps.

If you live in near south Manchester/Cheshire I can really recommend our trainer (in 2 sessions with her we have made so much more progress than several months at dog training).

Saskia x