Indie's progress

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ruth61

Indie's progress

Post by Ruth61 »

I'm on cloud nine today :-)
After four months I have finally, with the help of a dog behaviourist, got Indie walking off our drive and out into the big wide world. She has always been fantastic (off leash) in our local wide open park (with its woods, rivers, fields and tracks), and we bought her a Halti around 6 weeks ago and she walks on leash perfectly with it. But getting her to just walk off our drive, rather than jumping straight into the car, has been almost impossible.
A fortnight ago Wendy, the dog behaviourist suggested that, as Indie's confidence had increased so much, she would come round one evening with a bomb proof dog and attempt to get her to walk off our property and onto the prom. She managed with a lot of cajoling and a strong harness. This gave me the confidence to do it myself - that and a recommended Ruffwear harness which has a handle incorporated to be able to lift dogs over rocks and boulders etc. when on outdoor treks.
She is now walking along our lovely prom first thing in the morning, and yesterday we took her up Gummers How - tomorrow we are thinking Tarn Howes - the world is now opening up for her and we are so so pleased. :3502:
There has also been another benefit to taking her out for four hours every day, both on and off leash - her behaviour has improved, she doesn't chew the skirting anymore, she only barks when she is aware of anyone passing by and she is totally contented.
If she could talk I'm sure she would say something like 'oh wow, what have I been missing'.
Last week we also had our youngest grandson and his parents staying with us. The little one doesn't walk yet but Indie was brilliant with him - I think chocolate covered fingers helped. She didn't run off to hide and was so careful when she was near him. I'm so proud of her I just want to tell everyone - but most people would think I'd lost the plot :1968: hope you don't mind me sharing it on here :beerandwhistle:
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Indie's progress

Post by 12_paws »

:2782: Yea! Well done Indie - and well done Ruth, your commitment and persistence is paying off, the world is your lovely girls oyster!!
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Well done Indie, Well done Ruth! Lovely to hear what you've achieved with Indie and how good she was with the baby.

No, we wouldn't think you'd lost the plot - we know & understand!

Hilary, Tuppence & Rowley
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Well done Indie and Ruth. No stopping you now :thumbup:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
labradorlover
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by labradorlover »

Oh Indie what a clever girl you are. :bravo: :bravo:

There is a lovely big wide world waiting for you to explore now. Have lots of fun with your mum.

Aline & Sam
Ted forever in our hearts run free our lovely boy
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Well done Ruth.

Indie how clever are you. :bravo: :love4:

Enjoy your lovely walks Indie. :bighug:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Well done both of you :bravo:

Indie you are a clever girl and will be able to enjoy so many adventures with your mummy .

Amanda Jim Milo Zak & Max x
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Well done Indie - and well done Ruth :bravo: :bravo:

She's doing fantastically well by the sounds of it.

Any more photos of your lovely girl, Ruth? :thumbup:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Ruth61

Post by Ruth61 »

Thank you all for your lovely support. We have a way to go yet as Indie is still very nervous of vehicles, people, cycles, sudden noises, joggers . . . . I manage to walk her on our prom by setting out at about 6.30am - not many people out at that time of the morning - just a few dog walkers and the occasional cyclist and jogger. As she gains confidence I'll be able to take her out a little later :o
Photos: yes I have a few ready to upload, but for some reason my iPad Photobucket app isn't playing the game. I've just done a system update so maybe I'll have better luck :3497:
Ruth61

Post by Ruth61 »

Hope this works
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

I can't get photos onto Photobucket using my I pad either, Ruth.

I have to resort to my laptop.

Yours has worked! Well done. Lovely photo. :love2:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Ruth61

Post by Ruth61 »

Hope this works too - Indie loves her comfort :rofl:
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

What a lovely update and photos. You are giving Indie :love5: the life she should have and really helping her to overcome her fears, well done for not giving up on her. Getting her out of your drive and on to the Prom was a real achievement and I'm sure she will slowly become desensitised to all the traffic, people etc.

Keep up the good work she's worth it :thumbup:

Joan x
Joan and George x
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Beautiful picture. For you Indie :bighug: :love4:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Yvonne Walsh
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Yvonne Walsh »

So good to hear of how well Indie is progressing under your love and care x
Yvonne (and Molly)