OZZIE !

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JacksDad
Senior User
Senior User

OZZIE !

Post by JacksDad »

It's been quite a while since I last posted, in that time I lost Peppy after a far too short nine months, then quite soon after I went to MKF to see Ozzie, who I'd been told suffered from epileptic seizures but as soon as we met I knew he was coming home with me, even though I knew next to nothing about epilepsy. The first two weeks were a struggle to persuade Ozzie to eat but he's now as interested (obsessed ?) in food as any other lab. After six weeks of no seizures the vet agreed to halve the dose of Ozzie's tablets which then resulted in seizures every 2/3 weeks and occasionally twice in one day. Ozzie later had a couple of blood tests which led to extra medication and there have been no seizures since the beginning of September.
Ozzie is the first Lab I've had who's been completely ball obsessed but he also loves chasing round the park with his many doggie friends. He's very affectionate and follows me everywhere.....another MKF treasure !
Andrew
Ozzie with one of his lady friends, Lily.
Peppy having a smile.
Last edited by JacksDad on 27 Jan 2018, 16:01, edited 4 times in total.
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Re: OZZIE !

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Ozzie looks gorgeous!! I admire you for taking on a dog with epilepsy, I don't think I'd be brave enough. You seem to have coped well with his problems so far and I hope he gets on an "even keel" for you both. Maybe happiness will help. I'm so pleased for you both that he's settled well and already has lady friends, look forward to hearing about your adventures together. It does make a big difference having a labrador, or even "just a dog" in your life.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
JacksDad
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JacksDad »

Thank you for your kind words, there wasn't much to cope with when he had seizures, just a matter of stopping him from hurting himself during the few minutes they lasted. The vet asked me if Ozzie had a sleep after his seizures, which is the norm, but not this lad, a good hour's ball chasing restored him to normal. In the first six months Ozzie was with me I lost over half a stone in weight and probably more since, I've also made lots of new friends because Ozzie goes up to so many people inviting them to throw the ball, often nudging them with his nose to reinforce his request.
Andrew
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Can't see the pictures sadly, new photobucket restrictions, but really pleased that you found a new companion Andrew. I always enjoyed reading of the adventures of Peppy, Bryn and Jack and I'm sure Ozzie will be having a wonderful time too. Looking forward to hearing more..........
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

So sorry to read you had to say goodbye to Peppy but glad that Ozzie his helping to fill that void. He certainly sounds like he keeps you fit and look forward to reading about your adventures together :love2:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
JacksDad
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JacksDad »

Thanks to Lily and her Mum we now have pictures, more soon, time to go out and get wet again.
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

I loved reading how he nudges strangers with his ball. Lovely boy.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Hi Andrew

I am very sorry to read you have lost Peppy but I am happy to read you have found Labrador love again in Ozzie. He sounds a great dog and another one who loves to play ball.

Look forward to hearing more updates.

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Andrew I am just catching up, I was sorry to hear about Peppy.
It sounds as if you are coping well you and Ozzie, having had an epileptic dog I know that it can be difficult. So keep up the good work and lots of luck from us
Always good to hear from you.
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :2379:
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Good to hear from you Andrew. Sorry to hear the news about Peppy, 9 months was no time at all. Now you share your life with the gorgeous Ozzie, he looks a real character and obviously a ladies man :rofl: I'm glad that the seizures seem to be under control and that they didn't seem to bother Ozzie anyway. Also losing half a stone on the Ozzie diet is good and dog walking is so good for meeting new friends.

Thanks for posting and the photos it's nice to see them here on the Forum.
Joan and George x
JacksDad
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JacksDad »

A picture taken last summer with Ozzie and friend Lara who. although no longer able to chase the ball, watched Ozzie with a keen eye. Sadly Lara passed away a few months ago.

Cooling off after a ball chasing session.
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Great photos, Ozzie looks very focused in the first picture and very relaxed in the second. :1967: Sorry to read about his friend Lara she looked like a lovely old girl.
Joan and George x
JacksDad
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JacksDad »

Just a few more pictures, which I hope reflect his character

JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

He looks very laid back and a thinker to me - he's gorgeous :love5: :love5:
Joan and George x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Lovely pictures of a very handsome boy Andrew - Ozzie looks a pretty laid back sort of guy?
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart