An update on Archie

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

peteranddawn

An update on Archie

Post by peteranddawn »

It is now a full week since we adopted Archie, but this tale goes back over seven years when we adopted our yellow Labrador Sam from Labrador Rescue.

When we first had Sam, he had been living in a house with no garden. He had sore elbows where he had been lying on the hard floor (up until we adopted him, he had not slept in a bed for the first six years of his life). He did not like any fuss or attention - if I was to go over to where he was lying and sit by him, he would get up and move away before I could even stroke him.

However the last seven years he has been the best dog and companion that anyone could have wished for. He is so obedient, caring and constantly wanting to please.

For some time we have been looking on the website looking at all those poor Labs and wishing that we could have adopted them all. We had mixed feelings about having another dog. Sam is so into his routines and is no trouble at all, that we did not want to disrupt his life as he lives through his twilight years.

But we kept being told that having a younger dog gives an injection of life into an older dog, and we knew that we could easily provide a loving home for another Lab.

..but what if a new dog did not bond with Sam? What if they fought for dominance?

I saw Archie on the website a week last Friday. Sam was lying by my feet. Turning to Dawn, I asked "what about this one?" She took one look and said "Yes"

Within two minutes, I was on the phone to Glenys. The next day we were driving up to Malt Kiln Farm with our two daughters and Sam.

Sam and Archie have bonded straight away with no problems at all. As I sit here typing this, they are both lying on the carpet together sleeping.

Archie is what you might call "podgy", and he needs to trim down a bit. Yet he is not greedy - our youngest daughter Fiona has been sitting by the two dogs eating crisps, and yet he's not bothered at all. A few weeks from now he will be toned and in shape - he'll be the very picture of good health.

Our two Labs have their beds in our bedroom and the first couple of nights were a bit of a challenge. Archie would be constantly biting his nails and licking his paws, and when he did fall asleep his snoring would not be out of place as a ship's foghorn!

His first night with us saw me being nudged awake at two o'clock in the morning. Archie's head was under the duvet with his new toy in his mouth and he wanted to play.

Last night we had a good nights sleep - hopefully with many more to come.

We are so happy with him, and he has settled in so well, that it is almost as though he's always been with us.

If anyone is doubting as to whether to have a second Lab, don't hesitate like we did - do it!

The funny thing is that we are still looking at the Labs for adoption pages. I wonder what it is like to have three Labs?.....
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

I am so glad that Archie has found a good home with Sam! That is excellent news. :D :D :D
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Thank you so much for the wonderful update I am glad its all working well Archie is a lovely boy ,him and Sam will be good friends soon

Glenys
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Three is as easy as two!!! I have Nina and Jasper (sister and brother) aged six and Dylan (4) and they all get along like a house on fire.
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Fabulous story. Would love to see some pictures....... :D Enjoy...
Alison x
Gemma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Gemma T »

Great to hear that Archie has settled so well and so quickly. I can vouch for the boost getting a young dog will do to an older one. My little Maxy certainly got his bounce back when we got Kips.

Sam'll enjoy the company - and also probably having someone to be top dog over!!
Gemma xx
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

What good news about Archie. He sounds as though he is going to be very happy with you.
Jackie
xx
carolb
Homing Coordinator
Homing Coordinator

Post by carolb »

Hi Peter and Dawn,
Really pleased Archie has settled in so quickly and bonded with Sam. Can recommend 3 labs ( or even 4 as i have at the moment with fostering Finch!). 3 is my limit to walk together on leads though. :D
Carol x.
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

Great news thanks for the update. :)
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

Lovely story!!! Both about Sam and now Archie. I can vouch for what they say two labs are no harder than one. We had two for many years with Bess and Meg and then our little angel Bess went to doggie heaven and it was quite a while until we rescued Maisie. She is a little love and wished we had done it sooner!!!!

Thanks for giving Sam and now Archie a loving home.

Gill, Meg and Maisie

xxx
natty

Post by natty »

how nice to hear about both of your dogs.did any one mention we all love pictures???? :lol: :lol: