Storm (now Kizzy)

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Storm (now Kizzy)

Post by Ann Mee »

Hi Sue great update on Kizzy i'm sure she will soon learn from you. Glad you got a lie in, and I guess she did quite well considering she's used to being with her other mates and now on her own.

Had to chuckle at your post can't wait for more updates i'm sure they will be fun.

Ann x :love3:
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

I must admit Sue, I had a giggle as well. :1968: Just a suggestion for you. It may just pay you to leave a radio on low at night so she is not alone (so to speak). I'm sure it won't be long before she gets to know your house rules. Keep the photos and updates coming. :thumbright:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
gillyb
Senior User
Senior User

Post by gillyb »

What a lovely update and so nice that you have got a beautiful dog after waiting. As Glenys has said use your cage, she will get used to it and treat it as her own space. Reuben hasn't used his for a bit now but we got it out again over Christmas as we had a lot of people coming and going , he went back in it with no problem whatsover, it's their own sanctuary and gives you peace of mind to go and leave the dog while it is still in training. They do make me laugh when they try to get downstairs, we still have to bribe Reuben down if he does get upstairs as he hates trying to get back down.

Gillx :1970:
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am...

We can now deliver our pies to most places in the U.K www.bestporkpie.co.uk
mollysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollysmum »

What a beautiful girl Kizzy is, congratulations on becoming her new mum. I agree with what has been said about using a cage. I used one for both Katie (from being a puppy) and Molly (from being adopted from MKF at 5 1/2 months) and it was the best thing that we ever did. Not only did it keep the girls safe and secure but now, even though the cage is no longer there it is a place where they can just `chill`. Maybe when the snow has melted and Kizzy has `found her feet`, a walk in Lyme Park may be nice.
Linda
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

Congratulations Sue... hope you and Kizzy will be very happy together, I'm sure you will! :love5:

The first few days are never easy, you just want to love them and give loads of treats and cuddles, but the ground rules have to be laid... after that you can cuddle them loads!
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts
SueA
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SueA »

When I applied to adopt a lab my main criteria was that he/she had to get on well with other dogs and people. Now this has back-fired on me!!
I only let her off the lead when we are in a safe area (no roads, people, dogs) so that I can continue with training her to follow basic commands. However if a dog or a human being appear, a few times she has legged it across the field, taking no notice of me calling her. She is so excited about meeting people and dogs, but I need help to sort this out. I just missed out the start of a new training class so will have to work on this myself in the meantime, together with expert advice from you experienced people! Please!
She doesn't like going on her bed at bedtime, but here she is, curled up on it whilst I'm on the computer, snoring her head off. And I tell you, she can snore for England!!! Last night she (apparently) opened two doors through to the living room, as when I came downstairs this morning I found rather a lot of black hairs on the sofa, where she knows she's not allowed. So, tonight I must make sure the doors are properly shut (my fault, I know, for not making sure they were shut!!)
She also loves lying on my feet, which is great as I always have cold feet!!
Her best toys are her Kong and socks filled with socks, tied together.
She's a beaut!!!
Sue
mollysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollysmum »

When we first got Molly she was the same, but from the first few days I would let her off because we were somewhere safe and enclosed and also I walked with as a pack (3 other dogs including Katie). have you tried a long line with Kizzy, but there is an art to using one for the first time. My first time I got rope burns on my fingers as I did not no how to use it. I take Molly to training near Glossop that begins again next week, don`t no if there are any places left. I also believe that my pet stop at denton is quiet good. Good luck and if I can help in any way just let me no.
Linda
SueA
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SueA »

Thanks, Linda
I was going to get a flexi lead to help, but my neighbours little boy bought me an ordinary lead along with a few toys, so I've been using that. But I think getting a long lead might be the solution. I don't want her to stop loving people and dogs, but she's got to be more restrained in her actions, otherwise some people and dogs are going to get worried/scared. (It's lovely to see though- the whole back end of her shaking with excitement and love as she belts across the field!!)
Does anyone think training to the whistle might help? Anyone used it for this purpose?
Sue
tosca100
Senior User
Senior User

Post by tosca100 »

Hi Sue, glad you are enjoying your new pal, despite hiccups! If I were you Iwould give the flexi lead a miss as you cannot reel a dog in with one, and if you grab the cord you will get hurt. A long line would be better as you can reel a dog in easier, it won't take long to get used to it, but use gloves. Have fun!

Sara
A dog naps so much because it loves so hard - Anonymous
Danbec

Post by Danbec »

Hi Sue,
This reminds me of when we got Lexi from the RSPCA. She was a similar age to Kizzy and did exactly the same, bolting accross to other dogs all the time. We tried a lunge rope clipped to her collar (we got it from a nearby saddlery) but to be honest I think its just a case of patience and perserverance with them. You are trying to uno old habits and teach new ones, its going to take time...Shes much better now and can read the signals when the other dogs don't want to play etc etc and will come back much better than when we first got her. Archie is that bit younger and is, at the moment, much better than Lexi was when we got her. He is really good at coming back. I am sure once he finds his feet, things may change and he may start pushing his luck a bit...we have noticed he is getting braver, not shadowing Lexi as much and having a good old explore in the trees where we walk.

On the door front, Lexi can actually push the handles down and open ours........

The joy of labradors eh!?! Wouldn't be without 'em!
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

Last night she (apparently) opened two doors through to the living room, as when I came downstairs this morning I found rather a lot of black hairs on the sofa

Dont forget Sue she has always been used to sleeping in the "pack" with the others so being on her own at night is a very new experience for her, she will crave company, perhaps get a soft toy for her to sleep with...

However if a dog or a human being appear, a few times she has legged it across the field, taking no notice of me calling her. She is so excited about meeting people and dogs, but I need help to sort this out. I just missed out the start of a new training class so will have to work on this myself in the meantime,

This is a whole new world to her, she I dont think, has met many people and now meeting people and getting out and about is very exciting to her, she was like this in the vets the other day, jumped up at the receptionist to say hello,I would perhaps keep her on an extension lead with treats in your pocket, and not just ordinary treats, bits of chicken or cheese or liver, something she wouldnt normally have so the desire is there to come back to you,then of course when she starts to come back reward her with these delicious treats,as she becomes better at coming back only treat her every now and again, so she doesnt always know when she will get a treat but will come back in the hope she will....we do have a good training book in our shop that was written by our friend Rosemary, sadly Rosemary is now longer with us but she was an excellant trainer, and the book is written in easy to understand language..and makes it fun to train your dog...

Good luck.

Rosemarys book.

http://www.homealabrador.net/shop/books.php
Danbec

Post by Danbec »

I have cheese and sometimes sausage and chicken as treats when I am out......

Bit worried about Archie at the mo, a lump appeared on his face yday...pea sized and feels squidgy, you can move it about. Its about an inch below his eye, above where you can feel the top of his teeth/jaw... Will give it a couple of days and if still there will take him to the vets.
mollysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollysmum »

I would not wait, I would take him to the vets tomorrow. It could be nothing but you should get them checked out. When I found the lump on Katies leg Tuesday, was going to wait till friday but didn`t we went to the vets wednesday and surgery friday - was cancerous but the vet did a good job and managed to remove it all. Sorry to be dramatic but I thought Katies was something and nothing.

Sue I have PM you.
Linda
yvonnej
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by yvonnej »

Wonderful!!!!!
The great pleasure of a dog is that you make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, he will make a fool of himself too.
--Samuel Butle

Yvonne, Zak and Molly xx
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

We adopted George at 10 months last May and he was the same, wanting to meet all the new dogs and people. I used John's Training book and a whistle from Rescue and now George is pretty good, he has his moments but even the labs I've trained from 8 week old pups have had their moments :1962: :1966:

I used the whistle, as John's book directed, in the house and garden to start with, and every time we fed George. I just used several leads clipped together to make sure he came back to start with. I also train him all over the place, my favourite is on the playing fields as there is a high wire see through fence with a sheep field FULL of sheep next door. George is excellent there he's not distracted by the sheep at all, however, he is always on lead when we actually cross the sheep field. I certainly would not trust him if the flock started to run :2008:

Good luck

Joan x
Joan and George x