Story

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Story

Post by Glenys »

This is a thread for me but those who dont know me reading this a potted history is that in 1992 I became involved in Rescue at that time I hadnt a clue what I was letting myself in for but breifly over the years many labradors have passed through my life,I sometimes get a letter from someone who adopted a dog many years ago they kindly may be lettting me know that sadly that Dog has passed away and they still remember me ,one person was 12 years ago who wrote to me this week she said we wnat to thankyou for allowiing ben to share our lives and make is so much richer,I was a very humbling thing for me because they in fact had helped me by taking him in all those years ago,they also said we love to receive the newsletters,so in fact three or four times a year these people hear from me.
It took me back to the first newsletter I ever did on a typewriter with much tippexing :shock: ,I took it to the local shop and asked for 100 copies I think then it was 2p a copy,I also handwrote all the envelopes .
in 1995 when I started my own rescue some friends had a printers so they did the newsletters and any printing. I still for along tim e handwrote the envelopes till someone suggested labels :lol:
One day Gareth said Mum you need a computer I said OMG how would I use one we bought one out of the loacl free ads paper,actually the man must have seen us coming with flashing lights but never mind :)
I typed the letters and gareth printed them,then we went on internet,gareth used to check our emails.
One day gareth said I am going to make a website it was two pages with pictures and dogs info on I was deleriously happy but still couldnt use the PC properly.
Then one day Gareth was moving away going to live down south apart from being a heartbroken Mum which is a whole other story I knew my computer hopes were dashed,Gareth made out 5 A4 sheets
"MUMS GUIDE TO THE COMPUTER" and stuck them all round the wall
Anyway time went on and we got a wonderful new website and all manner of new gadgets scanner,printer you name it digital camera even.
The Website brought a whole new ballgame into play more friends made no need to use local papers for adverts you name it the world had opened up.
Now we have three website no less voluntarily run by their owners also volunteers.

There have been many friends over the years,and helpers people who have gone the extra mile for their love of dogs,donated stuff,money,homechecked,transported dogs,made cards,helped fundraise,left us money in their wills even wrote a book .
These friends will never be forgotten by me ever ! some have come and gone but I will cherish having known all of them
Don't let anyone think that I have not appreciated every little thing people have done and above all you have contibuted to the rescue so can also be proud that dogs have found homes simply because you have cared.

I hope the rescue goes on for many years to come well God willing as long as I can be around and able to and have the friends to support me and of Course Sam.