A Norrie Update

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

A Norrie Update

Post by Glenys »

This is from Ky

I must admit I have never heard of this at all didnt even know thats what the Vet had thought about but very interesting and at last a diagnosis,thank goodness its all been very worrying.
I hope Norrie can have a good life for as long as possible I am in no doubt he will be well looked after and is in the best place.

Here is a link to click.

http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/genet ... pathy.html

Latest up to date news on his Norrieship is as we feared he does indeed have what is commonly referred to as"Labrador Myopathy", it seems to go by any one of umpteen names but the most common are ( H.M.L.R) Hereditary Myopathy of Labrador Retrievers and also (C.N.M.) Autosomal Recessive Centronuclear Myopathy. One of the symptoms of myopathy can be megaoesophagus and also masticatory myosis-- in laymans tems an inabilty or difficulty to swallow or chew.

All the time here we have kept careful notes of what sort of day he has had, the air temperature and even his food temperature to try to form a a clear picture about his eating, it is all as clear as anything now and we know what to do.

Norrie has a double whammy as not only does he have the hypotonia but because of his prolonged incorrect diet he also does not even have the normal amount or sufficient muscle so not only is he weak but he is doubly weak as he has less muscle in the first place.

It is not something they catch or a result of bad keeping but a result of bad breeding and occurs when 2 carriers are bred together, it may be non progressive but as we are very unclear as to what stage in his life it first manifested we just do not know.

His weight is stable now at 23.5 kilos and I am to try and keep it there as we do not want him to put on fat, he looks well covered now and although looking at his feet he should be much bigger if he does increase in weight it has to be by muscle and not fat.

He will carry on having hydrotherapy, he is to have massage and very possibly acupuncture but that is being looked into.

He is also to have warm water treatment by standing in my bath of warm water and then the jets put on to massage the muscles.
Maybe all my years of working with kids with mobilty problems at RDA will come to the fore now.

He is incredibly happy, well and enjoying life and that is the most important thing, he is not in pain of any sort. The gang are amazing with him and tone games down to his level.

He will never be cured but will remain on long term steroids which is about all that can be done with regard to drugs and of course they come with their own long term problems.

Before

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Re: A Norrie Update

Post by jackiem »

Oh bless him. That second photograph really shows how he has come on in Ky's tender care.
Thank goodness that his diagnosis is now firm so that Ky will know how to treat him.
Live well and be happy Norrie.
Well done Ky for all you have done and will continue to do for lovely Norrie and well done to Glenys and team for rescuing this lovely boy in the first place.
Jackie
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Thank you very much for the update. Yes, a relief to finally have his condition definitively diagnosed.
No matter what, it is clear that Norrie has thrived in Ky's care. He will no doubt continue to do so for what we hope will be many long and happy years yet :love3:

Enjoy life Norrie; you will go down in Lab Rescue history as as extra-special boy that touched all our hearts xx
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Gemma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Gemma T »

I'm glad you've got the diagnosis for Norrie eventually.

I had a dog that also suffered from Hereditary Myopathy when I was growing up and there was another dog in my village who also had it. They were from similar field trial breeding lines. Zak our friend's dog had it far more severely than our dog Conn. we were told at the time that it was sometimes referred to as "floppy dog syndrome" and that was quite accurate. Conn had no interest in eating when he was at his worst but the best thing we ever did for him was to get another dog as once he had competition he started to eat. We were told initially that he would be unlikely to make it past 3, then 6 but we had him until he was 11 - something the vets were amazed about.

I'm glad now that Norrie has his forever home and a diagnosis, he'll have as long and as happy life as Conn did. ( Incidentally Kips - one of my current labs - is named after Conn as White Carr Kips was his kennel name)
Gemma xx
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

I'm pleased you finally have a diagnosis for your beautiful boy. At least you know what you are dealing with now. I have to say the after picture of him shows just how much he has thrived under you and your families love, it brings a lump to my throat. I am so happy you have adopted him xxx
Emma
eamonnmoore
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eamonnmoore »

sending lots of tender hugs to this lovely boy,and wishing only good things for the rest of his life,he deserves that much. :love6: :bighug:
Johndale
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Johndale »

I am very relieved that at last you have a diagnosis of Norrie's illness. Thank you Ky for your tenacity at getting to the bottom of his problems. I hope he continues to thrive under the care & the therapy regime that he requires and I sincerely hope he has a long happy life at Cao Jacob and brings you great joy.

John & Teddyxx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

It's good to know that at long last Norrie has a diagnosis - and Ky clearly knows all about it and knows how to deal with it. He couldn't be in better hands.

I will keep all crossed that dear Norrie continues to thrive - the funds raised for Norrie to get to this stage has been money well spent.

Thank you to Ky and gang for giving Norrie a future to look forward to.... :love3: :love3: :love3: :love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

I am so glad to read at Norrie's problems have now been diagnosed at least now you know what you are up against so to speak.

Wishing him a long & happy time at Cae Jacob he couldn't be in a better place for receiving lots of tlc. The before & after pictures are nothing short of a miracle. I can quite see why you couldn't let him go :love2:

These are for you Ky & the gang :love3: :love3: :love3: :love3: :love3: :love3:

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
Megsmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Megsmum »

So pleased that you at last have a diagnosis for Norrie and that he has found his forever home with you and the gang. What a lucky chap!

I hope he has a long and happy life with you - he certainly deserves it after everything he's been through.

Thank you so much for all you have done for him.

Please give him a big hug from me :bighug:

Helen x
Helen and Merry x

Remembering my beautiful Meg 1992-2008 and my darling Mollie 2009-2018
Lorraine+Ged
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by Lorraine+Ged »

Awww, bless him, makes me weep to see the before pic and to read your write up......at least he's in the best place now xx
Lorraine+Ged
Honey,Rolo& Charlie
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Great news that Ky is keeping lovely Norrie, Ky. I Don't recognise him as the same dog from the first photo.

At least she has a diagnosis now for him, lets hope it's onwards and upwards now he is officially one of the gang :2379:

Alison x
Lindsay2011
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lindsay2011 »

Aww this is fab news, little Norrie looks like a completely different dog in your pictures Ky. I can't imagine how he would ever put on fat with his lifestyle with the gang!

I am also pleased you have a diagnosis too, it sounds like a full time job keeping the diary let alone everything else!

Be happy little Norrie, you are a very lucky labrador,

Lindsay x
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

Thank you for the lovely update on Norrie... I must say he is looking fantastic, his little face is adorable!

It's no wonder you have fallen head over paw in love with him! :love5:
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LabRes1 »

I will keep all crossed that dear Norrie continues to thrive - the funds raised for Norrie to get to this stage has been money well spent.
We were funding Norrie prior to receiving donations and have spent in the region of £1,500 on his care. Now that Norrie is enjoying his life with his playmates i think it is fair to say the money that we spent on him has given him a reasonable quality of life.
-------------------------------
Canine Hydrotherapist Training
Canine Therapies Academy
www.caninetherapiesacademy.co.uk