A trip down the Wye

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Victoria68
New User
New User

A trip down the Wye

Post by Victoria68 »

Hello,

I just wanted to share my story. Two years ago when I was living in Southern England I got a six week old labrador puppy from LRRSE. I called him Monty. I brought him home and immediately the destruction began. He wrecked my home, he destroyed my clothes and bit large chunks out of the car seats as well as biting me almost everyday. I had wanted a dog all my life but nothing had prepared me for this level of destruction. I often thought I couldn't cope.

In January of this year he turned two and he is now the most wonderful animal I could ever imagine. I can't think of life without him. He is my constant companion and friend. If there is anyone out there having problems with their puppy, my message is don't give up. They are worth it.

This summer I am taking Monty camping in the Wye Valley. He will love the river and I will love the canoeing. My trip is inspired by a book I have just bought from amazon called ' A Blackwater Rising' by S Clark Garnett. If you love Labradors and adventure stories I would recommend it. It is a really good read and one of the stars of the story is Wellington a beautiful black Labrador.

Cheers

Victoria68
Megsmum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: A trip down the Wye

Post by Megsmum »

Glad it all turned out right for you both in the end :1939:
I love a good book, especially one with a labrador in it so I have ordered it from Amazon! :thumbup:
Helen x
Helen and Merry x

Remembering my beautiful Meg 1992-2008 and my darling Mollie 2009-2018
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Well done for understanding and persevering. Monty sounds like an absolute Gem :1972:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Rhona
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Rhona »

Oh I did have to stifle a grin when I read the description of Monty the destructo-pup, as it sounds such familiar behaviour!

It is hard but as you say so worth it in the long run and I agree it's awful to think that people could miss out if they find the early days a struggle.

The book sounds lovely
I may order!
Xx
In our hearts forever
My hero
Majestic Mr Stitch
May 2008 January 2013
max31
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by max31 »

So glad your patience was rewarded. Thanks for info on the book I have ordered one - love any books re dogs or cats. Looking forward to a good read.

Corinne + Hippo
Victoria68
New User
New User

Post by Victoria68 »

Hello,

Can anyone help me upload a photo of Monty?

victoria68
twig28
Senior User
Senior User

Post by twig28 »

Hi,

:rofl: Sounds like you have had lots of fun. :rofl:

As for posting pics i have stolen this quick guide out of another post.
- Search Google for 'Photobucket'
- Either sign up or sign in
- Upload a photo to Photobucket
- Click on the photo once it has been uploaded
- Then look for the IMG code (it should be the right hand side of the page, possibly under the title 'Links to share this photo')
- Copy it and then paste it on a message here
Good luck.
Amy, Steve
Tilly, Meisha, Pip, Coco and Mazy
Miss our old girl everyday. RIP darling Katy.
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Monty sounds the same as my Rowley apparently was when a pup. When he was delivered here at 3yrs old I was warned he was destructive. Not a bit of it. He does indulge in a bit of "Smash & Grab" while food preparation is going on if I'm not careful - aka Monsieur Roquefort.

Book sounds good, have just ordered it for my kindle.

Hilary, Tuppence, William & Rowley
Victoria68
New User
New User

Post by Victoria68 »

Having a few problems with photo bucket. I can't seem to upload it to my applications. I will persevere but there must be a easier way out there. I am just not good at technology - it is my own fault.

I don't normally recommend books but this was the exception. I hope those that bought 'A Blackwater Rising' enjoy it and pass it on. What I didn't mention is that the dog in the book comes from LRRSE. He is a rescue dog and Monty my Lab. also comes from LRRSE.

Cheers

Victoria68
Victoria68
New User
New User

Post by Victoria68 »

Hello,

Although Monty no longer destroys my house he is still a menace where food is concerned. I have had two tricky encounters recently. The first was in Ashton Court in Bristol. It is a large house with acres of land. I was walking Monty in the fields surrounding the house when he just took off. I followed but could do nothing to catch him. After running for what seemed like ages I heard screams coming from the direction of the house. Despite being exhausted I ran on because I knew the screaming would be caused by Monty. When I arrived at the house I discovered that Monty was inside the cafe. He was jumping from table to table eating everything in sight and spreading what he couldn't manage onto the floor. Mothers were shouting at Monty and their children were crying and screaming. Those that had still got their food were standing holding their trays above their heads. Seven people had lost their meals and one woman was crying. She approached me and wailed 'your dog ate my minty pie and chips'. Monty was running round madly trying to hoover everything up before I could catch him and put him on a lead. He was having the time of his life - it was the best walk ever!! I paid for the meals and left before any of the mothers could turn on me.

The second incident was in my local park at Arnos Vale. Monty caught a scent and bolted. He ran at full pelt at a man walking through the park. He jumped up at the man from behind and his paws landed on the mans shoulders. Monty is big dog weighing in at over seven stone. The man didn't stand a chance. He never even saw Monty coming. The man fell to the floor and was yelling for help. He had no idea what had attacked him. He pulled off his ruck sack and Monty ran off with it. Inside the ruck sack he had roast chicken which he was taking home for his super. I helped the man to his feet and apologised. He was fine about it fortunately but his bag was destroyed and his supper was inside Monty. I paid for the bag and the chicken.

Monty and I are in training but we have a long way to go. This is the picnic season and I am dreading it.

Cheers,

Victoria68
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dear oh dear.. rather you than me.. :1968:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

I KNEW there was another reason why I don't walk Bob off-lead!

That had me laughing out loud. Sorry. :rofl: :rofl:
Jackie
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

jackiem wrote:I KNEW there was another reason why I don't walk Bob off-lead!

That had me laughing out loud. Sorry. :rofl: :rofl:
Me too, I think you should write a book about Monty's adventures :rofl: :rofl:

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
Megsmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Megsmum »

Sorry but your story instantly reminded me of Fenton (Jesus Christ in Richmond Park) of Youtube fame! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Mollie is usually very good off the lead except when it comes to footballs. Once she has seen one, she becomes completely deaf and just hurtles after it. Many toddlers in our local park have been reduced to tears because she has punctured their ball. I always carry a couple of pounds with me for reimbursements!
Good luck with the picnic season! :thumbup:
Helen and Merry x

Remembering my beautiful Meg 1992-2008 and my darling Mollie 2009-2018
Victoria68
New User
New User

Post by Victoria68 »

Hello,

At the time of both incidents I felt great shame but now I can glimpse the funny side. I am pleased it made you smile.

I am dreading the picnic and BBQ season though. I think Monty will be staying in the garden over the summer. I took him round to a neighbours for a BBQ last Wednesday. It was just a handful of people and everyone of them owned a Lab. I thought it would be OK. I just assumed that they would all be able to deal with a food focused Lab. However, just in case there was any complacency, I warned everyone about Monty. I explained that he was very determined and highly focused. Everyone assured me they could handle Monty and that I should relax and enjoy the food. About thirty seconds later, John, a Lab owner for 40 years, leant forward to pick up his glass of wine. He took his eyes of his plate for a matter of moments but it was enough. By the time he looked down his burger was gone. Monty had snatched it and John hadn't even been aware it had gone. Steve immediately told John not to worry explaining there were plenty more burgers. Steve turned around to get John another burger and of course took his eyes off his own plate. Steve's burger went the same way as John's. Had I stayed then I am sure that eventually Monty would have got the lot. So I took Monty home immediately. Of course, all four other labradors at the BBQ behaved very well compounding my feelings of shame.

Cheers

Victoria68