Barney...

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

luds
New User
New User

Barney...

Post by luds »

...now called Remus!
I know, I know...not the done thing to rename really but in the circumstances...he'd have become 'Barney Varney'!!!

There's so much to like about Remus. Eager to please and most content to lie by (well, usually on!) your feet when he fancies lying down!
Compared to how our older dog, Sirius, was when we adopted him from the rescue some 8 years ago, there is little difference, except he walks on the lead much better than Sirius did and actually drops the tennis ball from time to time, rather than refusing to give it up!

As we kind of expected, there has been and still is, a bit of a battle for dominance. They'll walk on the lead side by side fine, although I'm sure that they're eyeing each other up all the time to make sure neither of them goes ahead! In the house and garden Remus is definitely coming out on top, constantly walking across his path, pushing, etc. I think the nipping of the ears and jumping up in front of Sirius is proving the most annoying though.
Consequently, they are, at the moment, sleeping separately and because Remus won't give Sirius any peace, their time together in the house is supervised and restricted.

Hopefully, after he's had The Op' next Wednesday, he'll be a little more receptive to training and getting on with Sirius. It Hasn't really helped that we can't take him out at the moment as, when I took him to the vets on Tuesday to register him and book his op', we discovered that, according to his vet card, he hadn't had his puppy vaccinations. I rang the Manchester Vet who was on the card, but they said that the record card that I had indicated that he had been orginally bought from dogs4us(.com) . I couldn't take the risk of him not having had them, so he had the first batch there and then and will have the second batch after his op'.
Fortunately, it's not been wet and the grass is standing up well against his sprints up and down as he runs after and fetches his tennis ball!

He does now sit and will lie patiently some way from me whilst I get both their meals. It's probably about the only time that he does 'stay' though!!!!

Sirius is lying down facing him, out of shot to the left!

So, there we are so far and I'll keep you up to speed with his op, recovery, etc.:)

Paul
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Barney...

Post by Willow »

An interesting tale of a rescue Lab adoption! There is always a settling in period, for you AND the dog :1939:
Remus is a stunner and, from that photo, I think he knows it :1968:
Good on you being safe rather than sorry with the vaccinations.. you can't be too careful. I'm sure things will settle following 'the op' although should warn you that it is several weeks before the effect fully occurs (as the testosterone recedes). You'll soon get into the swing and be one big, happy family :1972:

Please keep the updates coming, I'm looking forward to the next installment now!
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

luds
New User
New User

Post by luds »

Hi Willow,
Yeah...I'm not expecting the op to be a quick fix ...what will be more beneficial will be getting these vaccinations out of the way so he can be walked and get more exercise :)
It's going to be an interesting period over these next 3-4 weeks but one that I'm looking forward too!
Will keep you all posted!

Paul :)
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

I think I said on adoption day you must reinforce your existing dog all the time Remus needs boundaries he must be set them Sirius is and should remain top dog.

Remus must step back and allow him to be first in everything I am sure it will come as I felt comfortable sending him off with you.
Above them all is the pack leader YOU must dictate the pattern and stick to it be firm but kind but make no mistake Remus must obey.

Renaming ? not a criticism but I would have stuck with the name he knew but its ok to change it I guess.
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Remus looks lovely. Can't wait to see a photo of them both together!

Jane and Lily
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Lovely photo he looks quite chilled there! I am sure all will work out in the end, disruption to all is inevitable when a newcomer arrives but I would agree with Glenys back Sirius up so Remus knows his place.

Anyway thanks for the update and I look forward to seeing and hearing how you are getting on. Hope Remus is ok after his op.

Jackie x
luds
New User
New User

Post by luds »

Has it really been three weeks??!!!

Things are progressing nicely and the two dogs are slowly getting to know each other and be much more accepting.

Remus has now had his 2 sets of puppy jabs and has been neutered. Operation day must have been eventful for the vets! I was told to phone at 4pm to arrange a time for collection. They ended up phoning at 2pm and asking me to collect him as he was wide awake and whining the place down. Was nice that as soon as he heard my voice he stopped! They also decided to use stitches that dissolved as they didn't fancy battling with him when they needed to be taken out!!

His dominance seems to have tempered into boisterous play with Sirius, which sometimes needs intervention. It's not malicious, but his affectionate licks just progress into ear nipping which, unsurprisingly, Sirius doesn't really like!!
To reduce this we've moved from two walks to three slightly shorter ones: before breakfast, early afternoon and evening. This seems to just peg Remus' energy levels back so he's not quite as bouncy!

Today, I decided to take them for a walk in the Dunes at Birkdale. Hadn't intended to let them off lead, but they were so good that I took the plunge and they were sooo good! Remus probably stuck to us closer than Sirius but it was really nice to see them trotting/running up and down the footpath! Will be going there much more often methinks!!

Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Fabulous progress and Remus should just continue to improve now he's had 'the op'. Great photos; lovely to see the pair of them running together :1972:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

I don't know how but I completely missed this lovely update on how introducing a second dog to the household sometimes brings lots of challenges. Your two are gorgeous I love black labs. :1963:

I was wondering what the situation is like now, I've only had one dog at a time so find this subject really interesting. Hope they have now settled down together and are enjoying the lovely weather.

Joan and George x
Joan and George x
luds
New User
New User

Post by luds »

I'm sad to say that Remus' older friend, Sirius, died today. He felt different on the lead last night and suffered a massive stroke around breakfast time and went to sleep mid morning.
He was our second dog from the rescue and came to us in August 2007. He only ever went to the vets for his annual boosters and, apart from being a little creaky, was fit and active to the last.

In January this year, we looked after an 8yr old black lab called Maggie who we've now inherited. They all got on famously. This morning, when Sirius could only lie in his bed, Maggie continually walked over to him to give his ear a few gentle licks.... she knew before we did I think.

Thank you to the rescue for homing Sirius with us. He was a cracking dog and a wonderful companion.

(Wish I could remember how to add pics here!)
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

So sorry to read that you have said goodbye to Sirius, he sounds like a beautifully natured lad to take Remus (Barney) and Maggie under his wing. Hope you can take some comfort from those special memories that you'll hold dear,
thinking of you,
sleep tight Sirius :love2:
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

So sorry for your loss, It's devastating when they leave us, especially when they have been our constant companions. I really enjoyed your posts of how you introduced Remus into your household and loved the photos you posted although I can't see them now. You must have so many happy and funny memories of the three of them and I hope they will make you smile, in time, as you think of Sirius.

Run free dear Sirius x
Joan and George x
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

So sorry you have lost your beautiful Sirius. :bighug: 's to you. Run free at Rainbow Bridge Sirius. x31
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

So sorry to hear about Sirius sending best wishes to you xx
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

So sorry to hear your sad news about Sirius he sounded such a lovely dog.

Sending love and caring thoughts

Pat xx